Neuroscience Training Programs

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at psych.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 18 01:41:40 EST 1995

In article <3mv3c9$gfd at tali.hsc.colorado.edu>,
harris-lab at titania.HSC.Colorado.edu (Harris-lab) wrote:

> I've noticed a number of people on this list expressing an interest in
> neuroscience training programs.  Today, I received a directory from the
> Society for Neuroscience.  Included was an advertisement for a handbook
> called Neuroscience Training Programs in North America.
> It's a "guide to 200 neuroscience training opportunities that exist at
> institutions throughout North America".

This is a good guide.  Those who are also interested in higher cognitive
function should also consider Psychology departments, which usually
have biopsychology (or like) areas which do similar things to the higher
end of neuroscience.  Often faculty you are interested in are
associated with both departments.  You should look carefully at the
funding opportunities and program requirements to see which program
at each school would better suit you (at some schools, you can apply
to both simultaneously; at others you must choose one).  Often, one
may suit you better than another; e.g., if you are interested in
higher cognitive function, you may benefit by being in a cognitive
psychology area (rather being stuck in a bunch of cellular physiology
classes) or if you are only interested in basic cellular models you
will want to avoid a psych program.  Keep in mind neither program
will usually inform you of the other, so you will need to write to both.
They will often badmouth eachother so try to ignore this too; make
the decision that is best for you.

Information about all Psychology programs (biopsych included), scores req'd,
funding available, etc. is available in the yearly APA publication,
Graduate Training in Psychology (a telephone like booK).

By the way, did anyone have trouble getting their Neuroscience abstract
submission form this year? Many at UCLA never received theirs. And the
deadline is creeping up on us!

--
STEPHAN ANAGNOSTARAS                   UCLA BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE
STEPHAN at PSYCH.UCLA.EDU