Intermittant Short Term Memory Loss

Bill Meade sbmeade at umslvma.umsl.edu
Wed Apr 19 22:52:48 EST 1995

My wife (age 34) has had intermittant loss of short term (i.e., the last
two weeks of events when it happens) memory for the past 12 years.
Frequency is about once every 8 months (sometimes once a year others
once a month).  In the past 5 years she's had a CatScan, EEG (had the
memory loss while on the EEG machine the first time but no symptoms were
picked up) twice, and one year ago she had an MRI.  MRI showed some
shrinkage around the  brain stem (in the neurologist's words) but nothing
else major.

She had another episode 3 weekends ago.  It happend (as is often the
case) while she was taking a short nap.  She wakes up not knowing what is
going on (not disoriented just no memeories).  It looks for all the world
like a hard disk is being decheckerboarded and is interrupted in the
middle.  All the pointers are gone and have to be rebuilt.  In about 24
hours she is back to normal and the memories are back except for a few
fuzzy facts (she reviews shopping lists etc. to nail down as many details
as possible).  Only drug she is on is birth control pills.  We have 3
kids under 10 and are under no huge stresses.  Yes, we called the
neurologist about this but he had no new ideas.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it if you would contact me and
let me know.  We're at a loss about where to go next and have gone into
"broacast mode" to avoid overlooking any simple cures that might exist.

Bill Meade sbmeade at umslvma.umsl.edu