current in an axon

C. Wigren cwig at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 22 17:14:03 EST 1995

Can anyone out there provide me (a high school teacher) with a simple
analogy or explanation on the propagation of current in an axon bringing
into play concepts such as resistance, voltage, current, and the way the
membrane (channels), intracellular and extracellular fluid come into
play.  The only one I can come up with is a line of dominoes in which the
effect is felt at the beginning and subsequently at the end but in which
other than the dominoes falling over, no other displacement has occurred

Carl Wigren