Syringomyelia information

James Little jwl128 at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 22 08:44:16 EST 1995

Ben,
	I would be interested to learn more about diffusion weighted MRI
and magnetization transfer contrast.  It seems that we need to better
describe the anatomy and the physiology of the damage and recovery which
result in syringomyelia.  The neurologic decline which results includes
damage to white matter long-tracts, interneurons in the intermediate gray
and motoneurons in the ventral horn.  The nature of the damage may
include demyelination and neuronal degeneration.  Recovery may involve
remyelination or reactive synaptogenesis in the spinal cord or motor axon
sprouting and reinnervation in the periphery.  With electrophysiologic
studies, we see evidence of both upper and lower motoneuron damage and
evidence of compensatory reinnervation in the periphery.  It seems likely
we will need a combination of imaging and electrophysiologic studies to
monitor syringomyelia.