wisey at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 01:54:25 EST 1995
"MJ Duggan" <sgex400 at sghms.ac.uk> writes on 18 Apr 1995 11:58:45 asks:
does anybody out there do suprafusion of cells in culture or
tissue preps to study the release of neurotransmitters etc.?
Most of the superfusion studies were carried out more than a decade ago,
1. Yaksh TL, Elde RP (1981). Factors governing release of methionine
enkephalin like immunoreactivity from mesencephalon and spinal cord of the
cat in vivo. J Neurophysiol 46: 1056-1075;
2. Yaksh TL, Tyce GM (1980). Resting and K+ evoked release of serotonin
and norepinephrine in vivo from the rat and cat spinal cord. Brain Res
Most people who now do neurotransmitter analysis in vivo use polarography
[i.e. Rice ME, Richards CD, Nedergaard S, Hounsgaard J, Nicholson C, et
al. (1994). Direct monitoring of dopamine and 5-HT release in substantia
nigra and ventral tegmental area in vitro. Exp Brain Res 100: 395-406.]
Some examples of microdialysis studies include:
1. Liu DX, Valadez V, Sorkin LS, McAdoo DJ (1990). Norepinephrine and
serotonin release upon impact injury to rat spinal cord. J Neurotrauma 7:
2. Benveniste H, Hanson AJ, Ottosen NS (1989). Determination of brain
interstitial concentrations by microdialysis. J Neurochem 52: 1741-1750.
3. Globus MY, Busto R, Martinez E, Valdes I, Dietrich WD (1990). Ischemia
induces release of glutamate in regions spared from histopathologic damage
in the rat. Stroke
4. Paleckova V, Palecek J, McAdoo DJ, Willis WD (1992). The non-NMDA
antagonist CNQX prevents release of amino acids into the rat spinal cord
dorsal horn evoked by sciatic nerve stimulation. Neuroscience Letters
5. Liu D, McAdoo DJ (1993). An experimental model combining microdialysis
with electrophysiology, histology, and neurochemistry for exploring
mechanisms of secondary damage in spinal cord injury: effects of
potassium. Journal of Neurotrauma 10: 349-62.
6. Rokkas CK, Helfrich L, Jr., Lobner DC, Choi DW, Kouchoukos NT (1994).
Dextrorphan inhibits the release of excitatory amino acids during spinal
cord ischemia. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 58: 312-9.
Wise Young, Ph.D., M.D., NYU Medical Center.
More information about the Neur-sci