brain and mind

Hygw Figment dk4 at cec.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 21 01:11:34 EST 1995

. The number of cells that can be involved directly in
#the act of remembering in any brain is most certainly finite, not
#infinite. The underlying question is - How can a finite number of
#cells activate an infinite range of information states?
#        Any answer to this must take into account the difference
>between the way in which the cells of a body remain stable in
>relation to their environment and the stability of the
>memory components in a computer. Magnetic recording is the most
>stable form used in computers, but capacity recording, which must
>be replenished at regular intervals, is used in the RAM.
>Continuous replenishment is the principle operating in long-term
>memory in the brain but the construction of short-term memories
>may begin with capacity recording in oligodendrocytal myelin (See
>"Memory in Myelin" Gray, Coppock and Gray, 1994).

>        The continual and continuously variable replenishment of
>every cell and its components in the body is what makes even memory
>as it is in the brain continuously variable, therefore taking the
>form of analog information.
>
>                Gordon K. Gray

Would axons and the rest of the neural network be part of short term
memory?  Or is there some central processing unit located in the brain?
Or something like that?  Also, would the ganglia be considered the
long term storage centers?

My main point in the above questions, which I think are somewhat
accurate is:  How would this explain Amnesia?  In fact, I think
it worth considering how Amnesia actually could occur from the above
(if the above is correct) or from any explanation of the actual way
that the neural network exists.

Daniel Kupersmit