Lorenz's "motivation" & upregulation

Unknown Unknown
Wed Apr 26 09:31:03 EST 1995

In article <3nis9e$1pps at ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU>, x011 at Lehigh.EDU says:

>Well yes, but none I can quote off hand.  Try this for the next 5 minutes
>do not think the word SEX.  You will notice that after the five minutes
>is up you will think sex at higher frequencies as if to make up for not
>thinking sex.  So the stimuli required to trigger an old learned behavior
>is small and the memory is ready for activation.

Actually, what is most likely happening in the example you have fashioned,
is that in trying not to think about the word, you can't help but think
about it.  Had you simply not thought of the word, without the suggestion
of the word to begin with, you would not think of the word more, 5 min
down the line.
	The kind of research I am looking for, would be, for example, if
animals not presented a mate during the reproductive season would have an
increased number of neurotransmitter receptors say within the amygdala,
than would animals allowed to see and court a mate.  The functional
response of such leading to the former animals being more likely to court
a "poorer" representaion of a mate than would the latter.