low resistance grounding bridges in patch clamp

Brad Keele nkeele at beach.utmb.edu
Wed Apr 26 15:34:02 EST 1995

In article <3nltvg$83n at saba.info.ucla.edu>,
chrisdn at physci.lifesci.ucla.edu
says...

--
I have two suggestions, but they don't really answer you question, I'm
afraid :(

1.  Grounding through an agar bridge increases the series resistance of
your
recordings.  That is, the ground of the electrode is in series with the
membrane resistance.  However, if you are using discontinuous SEVC (w/ an
Axoclamp 2A, for instance) then there is no error associated with
Rseries.

2.   Grounding your electrode through the bath will introduce a junction
potential at the start of an experiment (which is cancelled with
amplifier
offset) that is not present in patch or whole-cell mode (since internal
and
intracellular solutions are identical).  That is, the corrected offset
becomes the juction potential.
N. Bradley Keele
Neuroscience Graduate Program
UTMB - Pharmacology J-31
Galveston, TX  77445-1031
Voice:  (409) 772-9604
FAX:    (409) 772-9642
  |  "Once in a while you get shown the light,          |
  |  in the strangest of places                         |
  |  if you look at it right."                          |