Artificial Neural Nets

Alan S. Gevins alan at eeg.com
Wed Apr 26 13:43:03 EST 1995

> From BIOSCI-REQUEST at net.bio.net Wed Apr 26 06:21:08 1995
> To: neuroscience at net.bio.net
> From: kate at anatomy.ucl.ac.uk (Kate Jeffery)
> Subject: Re: Artificial Neural Nets
> Sender: news at ucl.ac.uk (Usenet News System)
> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 10:53:48 GMT
>
> In article db0 at mozo.cc.purdue.edu, gfrancis at wizard (Greg Francis) writes:

> > This is an interesting claim. A colleague and I were discussing just last week that
> > we could not think of a single example (outside of visual perception) where studies
> > of real neuronal networks have lead to a better understanding of a specific aspect
> > of human cognitive behavior.
> >
> > Can anybody give me examples where neurophysiology studies produced better (or even
> > different) theories of cognition? (I will not accept general claims of modularity,
> > distributed coding, and the like, I am looking for something specific.)
>
> What about the cognitive map theory of hippocampal function following the discovery of place-coded cells in the hippocampus?
>
> Kate Jeffery
> kate at anatomy.ucl.ac.uk

Human neurophysiology studies (EEGs and Evoked Potentials)
have provided a number of reality checks on theories
of cognition by providing data which are not observable from overt behavior,
including measures of: the sub-second timing of serial and parallel attentive processes;
the interaction between internal models and sensory stimuli;
the actual operations of immediate, short and long term memory processes; etc.

Aside from useful knowledge of the actual neural processes of cognition, the net effect of
this body of research has been to provide a conceptual framework for cognition which
does not derive directly from analogies with computer systems. For example, while psychological
theories of working memory postulate a central executive, an articulatory loop and
a visuospatial scratch pad, direct neuronal measurements demonstrate that working memory is
a fundamental feature of neurons, neural populations and large neural systems, ie. there
are no specialized working memory centers.