Alzheimer's Disease and diagnosis w/ tropicamide

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Apr 28 08:14:30 EST 1995

In article <D7noz6.K4M at midway.uchicago.edu>, rout at quads.uchicago.edu (Mark Routb
ort) writes:
>In article <3ne7ej$ge6 at synapse.bms.com>,
>Rick Belval <belval at synapse.bms.com> wrote:
>>In the 11-Nov-94 issue of Science, Mass. researchers presented evidence
>>indicating that AD patients are more sensitive to the pupil-dilating and
>>acetylcholine-blocking drug, tropicamide.  Has anyone seen any follow-up
>>articles in this area of study?
>>Rick Belval
>>belval at synapse.bms.com
We give Alzheimer's patients medicine in an effort to increase their
acetylcholine production.  They continue to decline.

Perhaps, we should do the opposite.

Give medicines to block acetylcholine transmission in the brain.  The
brain should try to conteract the medicine by growing new acetylcholine
connections and reduce the process of erasing acetylcholine processing
sites.  When we take the medicine away a month later the patient should
be preforming at significantly higher levels of cognitive functions.
Ron Blue x011 at lehigh.edu