Intermittant Short Term Memory Loss TIMELINE

Bill Meade sbmeade at umslvma.umsl.edu
Sun Apr 30 23:16:40 EST 1995

Hello all,

Thanks again for all the suggestions and possibilities.  They
certainly have enlarged our concept of seizure/memory loss.
The latest back channel hypothesis (anonomized) is that Aspartame
might be a cause.

*Symptoms Timeline*

In putting together the following Beth and I uncovered a
misunderstanding which might provide additional data.  What started 13
years ago was not "intermittant short term memory loss" but rather,
episodes where Beth lost control of her thinking.  Because it is so hard
to describe she despairs of trying to communicate "what it is like."  We
came to call it "wierding out" when it was the only thing going on.  It
was the reason that the first CAT scan and EEG were run.  The first time
it happened Beth was in her first undergraduate statistics exam and
images and thoughts started flashing through her mind uncontrollably.
She had enough control to get up and tell the teacher that she felt ill
and drive home (1/2 hour on back country roads).  She aced the course so
unlike many of us, I don't think it was the stats that were making her
ill. ;-)

Why am I telling you all this.  Well, ... while the memory loss episodes
are relatively well documented the "wierding out" episodes (which are
more frequent and less severe) are not documented at all.  Beth does not
tell me when she has these episodes now.  I've houded her so hard to go
to the doctor about this that I've eroded my role as listener to nothing
on the less severe episodes.

Dumb things that might matter:

  (a) Beth gives up chocolate for lent (usually in April, right?)
  (b) Beth gives up Nutrasweet while breast feeding.  None of the
      attacks came while she was breast feeding.

So, having said this, here's the timeline:

     Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec
1990                                               1
1991
1992
1993  2    3         4
1994            5
1995                 6

#1 Oct. 7, 1990
First time.  Lots of nausea.  Started while taking a nap.  Possible
pressures were working too many hours (30) plus piano tuning classes, and
auditions for symphonies.

#2 Jan. 24, 1993
Second time.  Nausea.  Started while taking a nap.  Possible pressures
were having bunion surgery, 7 month-old baby sick for past 2 weeks,
company over the previous night.

#3 Feb. 5, 1993 Mild attach.  No nausea.  No new pressures.  Did not
start while taking a nap.

#4 Apr. 7, 1993 Mild attach, lots of nausea. Did not start while taking a
nap.  Pressures: thinking of buying first house, helping put on an
anniverary party for some friends.

#5 Mar. 7, 1994, Severe attack.  No nausea.  Started while taking nap.
No pressures except 3 cranky kids (boys!).

#6 Apr. 1, 1995, Severe attack.  No nausea.  Started while taking nap.
Pressures: husband looking for new job.

Again, a million thanks to everyone!

-----
Bill Meade, Ph.D.                       Voice=314.516.5623
Assist. Prof. - Mkt               sbmeade at umslvma.umsl.edu
U. of Mo. - St. Louis        http://www.umsl.edu/~sbmeade/
List Moderator of:
 AMODLMKT-Applied modeling in marketing: devoted to the those in
          the marketing community interested in modeling practice.
 KAWASAKI-A list to change the world via great products and
          marketing. If you don't know Guy Kawasaki look for his
          books: THE MAC. WAY, SELLING THE DREAM, & HINDSIGHTS