Machine for pc and macintosh that can read your mind (This is no a joke)

Tom Shafron tshafron at students.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 8 12:48:13 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.950808081948.11504A-100000 at golgi>,
jstrout at ucsd.edu says...

>"Brain waves" generally refers to the electric field generated
>collectively by the membrane potential of billions of neurons, as
>measured by an EEG (electroencephalogram) machine.  This involves taping
>at least two, and often dozens of electrodes to the scalp.  Even then,
>the signals are very small, and very difficult to interpret.  At best,
>they can give a measure of the activity within general regions of the
>brain -- similar to the PET scans which have made much news in the last
>few years, but with much better temporal resolution and worse spatial
>resolution.  But even an EEG cannot "read your mind" or your thoughts.
>With practice (and feedback), one can learn to control certain aspects of
>the signal to control devices.  However, the EEG is very sensitive to
>electrical activity in the scalp muscles, and it seems likely that these
>EEG-controlled trains and such are controlled more by minute muscle
>tension than by "brain waves".
>
>As for "brain waves" and thoughts being read from your fingertip -- I
>don't think so.  With practice, though, one might be able to control a
>device through subtle adjustments to muscular tension, skin conductivity,
>etc., which have been shown to be learnable through biofeedback.  The
>subject might not even be aware of what's going on, and so might
>(erroneously) conclude that the machine is reading her thoughts.  But
>this control would not come without practice, as the news story claimed.
>
>Just my $0.02 worth...

I'm sorry but I have been in recent contact with many people involved
in this project, and in just two words- your wrong.

Here is a correspondence I received from Stuart Dambrot, who has worked
with the prototype:

---------------------
You couldn't be more incorrect - or misleading - in your response. The
MindDrive referred to in the initial message (The Other 90 Percent
Technologies, Sausalito (415) 332-0433) uses an extremely complex
algorithm to recover far more information than GSR. As I mentioned in my
response to the initial query, I was involved in the announcement and have
worked with the prototype, and it is as far beyond GSR/EEG measurement as
cellular phones are beyond tin cans-and-string. If this seems a bit
overreactive, please recall that advances in science and technology are
often stifled or overlooked because of the power of uniformed opinion.

It doesn't use traditoinal EEG or galvonic skin response methods to read
you electrical field.  It works far faster. By the way I listed the number
of the company in the paragraph. If you still don't beleive me call them.

P.S. I understood that it didn't read your mind in reality, but in practice
it might as well.

Tom Shafron
tshafron at students.wisc.edu