synchronization without oscillations

Jan Vorbrueggen jan at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Aug 2 06:32:41 EST 1995

In article <3vlpr3$eii at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu (Leslie
Kay) writes:

   This is not synchronization, since it doesn't occur at the same time.

The question, whose time? The observer's? ... is irrelevant. IMO, the only
relevant time is that seen by the structure(s) driven by those being observed,
as they are the ones making use of synchronization.

You could (plausibly, I tend to think) imagine a system which, internally, is
oscillating (i.e., has a regular, predictable activity in time), but which,
when "translating" its activity for an external observer, seems to be highly
irregular because its internal time is translated into external time in a
time-dependent way. As an example, internal "time" could be measured in
synapses, which is translated into "real time" by variable synaptic delays.

   Synchronization by means of oscillation requires too long a time.  The
   brain only has a few periods (typically less than 5) before the state of
   the system changes.

'scuse me? I can show you a system that very easily (de)synchronizes within
about 1.5 periods - five of 'em is _plenty_!

	Jan