URGENT: NutraSweet(tm) Destroys Usenet!!!!

Bruce Raoul Parnas brp at recon.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 2 10:55:07 EST 1995

In article <3vmkrp$6cq at lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, tdib at umich.edu (Thomas K. Dibenedetto) writes:
|> John M. Vogel (jvogel at crl.com) wrote:
|> : Chris McMahon (libcm at curly.cc.emory.edu) wrote:
|> : :    Some humans experience neurological problems with reasonably small
|> : : doses of aspartame. I personally get a headache if I drink a lot of diet
|> : : Coke. It passed FDA muster because side effects are not widespread and
|> : : not *usually* severe.
|> : And excessive caffeine will usually cause headaches; can't attribute that
|> : to aspartame.
|> and hitting yourself on the head with a hammer will also cause headaches,
|> not attributable to aspartame....what does that prove john?

If this is a serious question- here's a serious answer: John's statement is saying that,
since caffeine can cause headaches, drinking lots of Diet Cokes DOES NOT IN ANY WAY IMPLY
that aspartame is the culprit. It could just as well be the caffeine, and the Nutrasweet
could be innocent. (Personally, I think the aspartame is guilty as sin, but I'm just
trying to explain John's straightforward logic).

If this wasn't a serious question- sorry...

dr bruce parnas
brp at biocomp.arc.nasa.gov
/usr/local/Std.Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed here are mine and
not those of NASA, but you probably could have guessed that.

It's not my fault.  Not all of us here at NASA are Rocket Scientists