URGENT: NutraSweet(tm) Destroys Usenet!!!!

Speaker-to-Minerals lydick at SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU
Wed Aug 2 15:34:02 EST 1995

In article <3vmkrp$6cq at lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, tdib at umich.edu (Thomas K. Dibenedetto) writes:
=John M. Vogel (jvogel at crl.com) wrote:
=: Chris McMahon (libcm at curly.cc.emory.edu) wrote:
=
=: :    Some humans experience neurological problems with reasonably small
=: : doses of aspartame. I personally get a headache if I drink a lot of diet
=: : Coke. It passed FDA muster because side effects are not widespread and
=: : not *usually* severe.
=
=: And excessive caffeine will usually cause headaches; can't attribute that
=: to aspartame.
=
=and hitting yourself on the head with a hammer will also cause headaches,
=not attributable to aspartame....what does that prove john?

His point, though you were apparently too stupid to understand it, is that diet
Coke contains caffeine as well as aspartame.  Last I heard, drinking a diet
Coke didn't require your hitting yourself on the head with a hammer; it DOES
(unless you've opted for the caffeine-free diet coke, in which case I'd expect,
since you're specifying brand name, that you specify that as well) require
ingesting caffeine.