URGENT: NutraSweet(tm) Destroys Usenet!!!!

Guy F. Barbato gfb1 at email.psu.edu
Wed Aug 2 15:29:55 EST 1995

In article <jstream-020895103117 at girch46.med.uth.tmc.edu>,
   jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Rifle River) wrote:
>In article <3vlmf5$cue at news.acns.nwu.edu>, jkh141 at nwu.edu (Jody K. Hirsh)
>wrote:
>                 please
>
>> My guess is that  your headaches were the result of consuming excess
>> CAFFEINE in the diet Coke, and/or hypoglycemic from not eating enough.
>
>If you really want something to make noise about you should look at the
>data regarding how caffeine can affect blood pressure in low doses in some
>individuals and can induce seizures in extremely high doses.  These are
>just some of the effects of caffeine.  Can anyone make some reasonable
>conclusions why a drug this dangerous is so easily obtainable?  I thought
>so.  One reason - these side effects usually only show up in people who
>drop a whole box (or more) of caffeine pills all at once.
[snip}

as i recall from an early pharmacology class...the primary PHARMACOLOGICAL
action of caffeine us to increase the ability of muscles to do work (i.e.,
lift bigger,better,more).  if one considers that coffee breaks, and coke
breaks, were started during the industrial age on the assembly line....it
makes perfect sense to give the workers a *rest*, only to have them come back
stronger and work longer......not to mention more alert..
<any interpretation of sarcasm in the previous post is probably intentional>
cheers,
guy

 ////         G. F. Barbato                Phone: (814)-865-4481
< * )         Dept. Poultry Science        FAX:   (814)-865-5691
  \ \__///    Penn State University        Lab:   (814)-865-3189
  ( --- )     University Park, PA 16802    Email: gfb1 at psu.edu
   \/ \/        **** URL: http://ps235.cas.psu.edu/ ****
     A non-secular nanosecond of thought:
            " Education is what survives when
                 what was learnt has been forgotten."
                                 --------  B.F. Skinner
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX