synchronization without oscillations

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Aug 2 12:01:38 EST 1995

>It is important not to confuse units with the field potential or the EEG.
>Oscillations in the latter two are a population property.  Oscillations in
>single unit firing may or may not be indicative of the population dynamics.
True but in a system of noise a weak signal can be increased to a recognizible
level.  So the approach should not be rejected due the difficulty of the
project.
>Synchronization by means of oscillation requires too long a time.
I disagree.  Synchronization can occur over very long time cycles.
A patient recovering from brain surgery reported that he became quiet
disturbed watching his wife move her lips and heard nothing until 5 seconds
later.  What he heard later was what his wife actually said so there
was no processing error.
 Children who are very young also become highly disturbed when
shown a video of their mothers talking and the sound is NOT linked
to the movement of the mothers mouth.
>  The
>brain only has a few periods (typically less than 5) before the state of
>the system changes.
>
>Leslie Kay
>lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu

If the brain is processing at submilliseconds frequencies with in a
main carrier or reference cycle the period of 5 main oscillations
may still give information of the hidden correlations or associations.
Using a 8 cycle count as a basic unit of a carrier wave for start/stop
one would get the magic number 7 +/- 2 for learning.
Ron Blue