URGENT: NutraSweet(tm) Destroys Usenet!!!!

Peter Hood Peter at brentano.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 18:48:48 EST 1995

<lots of unmarked chopping in the quoted text below>
In article: <3vlmf5$cue at news.acns.nwu.edu>  jkh141 at nwu.edu (Jody K. Hirsh) writes:
> Subject: Re: URGENT: NutraSweet(tm) Destroys Usenet!!!!
> stastical
> >: data on the subject. I am very interested in hearing about it.  I would like
> >
> >Aspartame (Nutrasweet) was originally developed as an experimental
> >neurological drug. It's sweetness was an unexpected side effect.
> >    It was a dud as a neurological agent, except that in large doses, it
> >causes brain lesions in lab animals.
> >   Some humans experience neurological problems with reasonably small
> >doses of aspartame. I personally get a headache if I drink a lot of diet
> >Coke. It passed FDA muster because side effects are not widespread and
> >not *usually* severe.
> >                    please
> This is BOGUS. Nutrasweet was an accident, but it was discovered during
> the synthesis of GASTRIN peptides for Stomach disorders not neurological
> peptides. The old-time chemists used to taste everything. (BTW,Saccharin
> was accidentally dicovered in the synthesis of paint because it got on a
> cigarette; Sherwin-Williams holds the patent).
> My guess is that  your headaches were the result of consuming excess
> CAFFEINE in the diet Coke, and/or hypoglycemic from not eating enough.
> Nutrasweet is not absorbed as-is, your body breaks it down first in the gut
> to the amino acids.  If you have Nutrasweet with any protein-containing food
> there will be MUCH more aspartic acid and phenylalanine from the
> FOOD in your system.
>
> BTW, I don't work for Nutrasweet or have any other connection to them or
> Searle. I'm just a scientist concerned with the dissemination of  false
> information.

As a matter of fact, I noted with interest how CNS lesions and neurological
problems were carefully paired with headaches and diet coke;  unless all of
my training deceives me, there are NO pain receptors in the CNS.  Pain
receptors in the cranial area are to be found in the vascular and muscular
systems.  Illustratively, Immigran (as it is called in the UK) which is used
for migraines, is thought to have 5HT receptors as its main site of action.

--
Peter