URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Thu Aug 3 11:52:55 EST 1995

Dear CMB:

The original story is my post at the beginning of
URGENT;NutraSweet:METHANOL/TRUTH which if not on your screen I will be
happy to forward. I mentioned that menthanol is a narcotic.  John Vogel
made this comment that it wasn't.  I then came back and gave the reference
which is:

Louis, R.J.  Sax's Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, Eighth
Edition, New York, Van Nostrand Reinhold (1992) pp.2251-2252.

Also, I've posted so many notes on this in the past but aspartame is a
drug, and I've given original data on that before.  After John's remark,
and even though Sax is a well accepted reference, I checked some more
sources about methanol just because its so bad.  Here's some interesting
data:

Merck Index: Tenth Edition: 5816: Methanol:  Methyl alcohol..wood alcohol...
"Poisoning may occur from ingestion, inhalation or percutaneous
absorption.  Acute Effects:  Headache, fatigue, nausea, visual impairment
or complete blindness (may be permanently), acidosis,
convulsions..respiratory failure, death.  Death from ingestion of less
than 30 ml. has been reported. .."

That's very interesting since this is what we see with aspartame, and I
for one don't want methanol in my food and drink or body.  Yes, it is a
solvent, and thats what it should be used for not added for food.

The Merck goes on: "Industrial solvent:  Raw material for making
formaldehyde and methyl esters of organic and inorganic acids ..

This is what happens in your body.  Methanol converts to formaldehyde
and  formic acid (ant sting poison) and causes metabolic acidosis.

In the book FUNDAMENTALS OF CHEMISTRY BY  Jean Bogert, eighth edition, on
page 286 it says:

"Methyl Alcohol or "wood alcohol" taken internally is a dangerous
poison.  It paralyzes the optic nerve and as little as 10 cc may cause
blindness.  Its use as a solvent in industries causes a hazard for
workmen unless forced ventilation is installed, since continual breathing
of the vapors, may result in blindness.  A similar hazard exists when it
is used as an antifreeze agent in automobile radiators, since it is
vaporized by engine heat and the toxic vapor may be swept back into the car.
Methyl (wood) alcohol is sometimes present in improperly prepared
distilled liquors and is added to ethyl alcohol to render it unfit for
beverage purposes. ("denatured alcohol")."

The problems coming from this in aspartame are very serious, especially
so much vision loss and blindness.  Even the Government says they are
going to redo the currency in 1996 because people are having problems
reading it and they think its coming from diabetes.  Well aspartame
triggers diabetes (Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon says that in his book
EXCITOTOXINS; THE TASTE THAT KILLS) and it triggers blindness.

People begin to slur their words when they get a good deal of aspartame
and lost their equilibrium.  We have so many case histories where they
are diagnosed as multiple sclerosis when in reality its a methanol
toxicity which mimics MS.  If you will read my post in nutrition
newsgroup under Coca Cola/Health-Attitude you'll see a case history of
exactly that.  We see these cases over and over again.

There is so much blindness from aspartame that in October, l986 the
Community Nutrition Institute in Washington, D.C. filed a petition with
the FDA to have it banned because of its link to blindness.  (CHICAGO SUN
TIMES, Friday, October 17, 1986   titled:  CONSUMER GROUP LINKS
NUTRASWEET TO BLINDNESS)  The methanol converts to formaldehyde in the
retina.

This is especially serious in diabetics because sometimes physicians
think its just diabetic retinopathy when their patients are going blind.
There are so many diabetics going blind because of aspartame and its just
criminal.  As a man told me just this last Saturday: "My mother was doing
so well as a diabetic.  She had been using saccharin but decided to
switch to NutraSweet.  She went completely blind."  I hear that so much
its like a broken record.  And this is just one of the reasons we are
trying so desperately to get this poison off the market.

In the article in the Chicago Sun Times they quote Dr. H. J. Roberts who
said: "Of 360 patients he has diagnosed as having aspartame-related
problems, Roberts said, about one-fourth had decreased vision or
blindness, nearly half had severe headaches and substantial numbers had
epileptic seizures, confusion or memory loss, extreme depression and
marked personality change."   Keep in mind this was in l986 when
aspartame was in about 600 products - now the patent has expired and its
in 5000 products and climbing!

Here's more info about methanol from an article by Dr. Ron Austin of
Norwalk, California in his newsletter BACK ISSUES TITLED: NutraSweet
Friend or Foe!

"One man's (Nutra) Sweet is another man's poison! ...Methanol (methyl
alcohol, wood alcohol), a poisonous substance, is added as a component
during the manufacture of aspartame (NutraSweet).  This methanol is
subsequently released within hours of consumption in the small
intestine.  However, in humans this process is sped up tremendously if
the methanol is ingested as a free methanol such as occurs in soft drinks
after storage or in other foods after being heated.  Regardless as to
whether this happens or not 10% of the weight of aspartame intake of an
individual will be absorbed by the bloodstream as methanol within hours
after consumption.  Important note:  Up until date there has been no
therapeutic (healing) properties of this substance (methanol) and it has
been considered to be a poison.  The ingestion of two (2) teaspoons is
considered to be deadly in humans."

..."Methyl alcohol has a selective action on the optic nerve and can cause
blindness, the consumption of as little as 30 ml (two teaspoons) has
caused death.  Methyl alcohol is used as a polar solvent for plastics,
paints, and varnishes, as an antifreeze, and in the manufacture of
formaldehyde and other methyl compounds such as methyl amine, methyl
chloride, and methyl methacrylate.  Patients may complain of lethargy
(extreme tiredness), confusion, and impairment of speech, all signs of
nervous system involvement.  The individual may suffer leg cramps, back
pain, severe headache, abdominal pain, labored breathing, vertigo and
visual loss, the latter being a very important clue to making a diagnosis
of this type (methanol) poisoning.  In severe cases the liver, kidneys,
heart and lungs show dangerous signs of degeneration."

These symptoms are what we are seeing in the population on a grand scale,
the reason for the warning flyers we distribute worldwide.  People see
the symptoms and realize what the culprit, and hopefully get off of it
before it takes their life.

Dr. Austin goes on about CHRONIC OR PROLONGED EXPOSURE IN HUMANS: "Many
of the signs and symptoms of intoxication due to methanol ingestion are
not specific to methyl (wood) alcohol.  For example, headache, ear
buzzing, dizziness, nausea and unsteady gait (intoxicated or drunk type
of walking), gastrointestinal disturbances, weakness, vertigo, chills,
memory lapses, numbness and shooting pains in the lower extremities,
hands and forearms, behavioral disturbances and neuritis.  The most
distinctive signs and symptoms of this type of poisoning in humans are
the various visual disturbances such as:  misty vision, progressive
contraction of the visual fields (tunnel vision) mist before the eyes,
blurring of vision and indistinct vision."

We are having a lot of problems with pilots having vision problems from
aspartame.  They are reporting to the Worldwide Pilot Hotline  (214 352-4268)
and keeping them quite busy.  You may remember that the American Airliner
that fell out of the sky in December was reported as "pilot error -
tunnel vision"!  Many of them are having grand mal seizures in the
cockpits of commercial airliners full of passengers.  In fact, I asked
Mary Stoddard of the Worldwide Pilot Hotline just yesterday could she
give a number of how many seizures there had been.  She said: "They are
still putting them in the database and haven't come to a total count as yet."
They come in quite frequently.  The United States Air Force warned all
pilots off this neurotoxin in their journal FLYING SAFETY in May 1992.
We quote it on our flyer:

"...Some people have suffered aspartame related disorders with doses as
small as that carried in a single stick of chewing gum.  This could mean
a pilot who drinks diet sodas is more susceptible to flicker vertigo, or
to flicker-induced epileptic activity.  It also means that all pilots are
potential victims of sudden memory loss, dizziness during instrument
flight and gradual loss of vision."    Thank you, United States Air Force!
The Navy said the same thing in Navy Physiology!

And they are having a great deal of problems with methanol even in the
plants.  Dr. Austin quotes one case:  "A 21 year old non-drinking male
who had been exposed daily to the fine dust of aspartame (NutraSweet) at
the packaging plant he had been working at for over one year, was
complaining of blurred vision, headaches, dizziness, and depression
before his sudden death.  An autopsy revealed liver, kidneys, heart and
lungs degeneration (disease).  The damage to the heart was as if the man
had been an alcoholic between the ages of 30 and 50 and up to 50% of his
food intake for over a 10 to 15 year period was alcohol.  Mind you, he
was a 21 year old non-drinker!!   But I only have one soft drink daily
with NutraSweet, surly that can't kill me, right?  "

Incidently, the Aspartame Consumer Safety Network keeps the autopsy
reports on file of those who die from NutraSweet, and they have this one.

A good deal of Dr. Austin's newsletter is quoted from Dr. Woodrow Monte's
report:  ASPARTAME; METHANOL AND THE PUBLIC HEALTH (JOURNAL OF APPLIED
NUTRITION, VOLUME 36, NUMBER 1, 1984).  Dr. Monte said back then that the
public use of this toxin might constitute the test of its safety!  It has
- we have seen all the things he said would happen on a large scale
worldwide.  He pleaded with Congress and the FDA to stop the insanity of
marketing this poison.  His eloquent concluding remarks should never be
forgotten:

"I am sure you have been pressured by the petitioner's attorneys.  You
must remember you are the American's public last defense; you must be
strong to this mandate, for once you allow usage there is literally
nothing I or my colleagues can do to reverse the course."

It fell on deaf ears, and the prophecy continues to be fulfilled as
aspartame continues to insult the human constitution causing disease and
death -- and three worldwide organizations - Mission Possible - the
Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Worldwide Pilot Hotline send
worldwide alerts warning all we can get to, to get off this toxin and
escape the horrors we see daily from this poison!

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty