URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Timothy D. Shoppa shoppa at almach.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 3 14:21:00 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950803111025.6088C-100000 at noel.pd.org>, Betty Martini <betty at noel.pd.org> writes...
>Dear Chilton:  In answer to your question about yogurt and aspartame, we
>are getting complaints on it - especially this TCBY you get in airports.
>However, I noted from some posts that people saying they are taking
>aspartame out of some yogurts.  I believe they are starting to withdraw
>it in several things.  You may have seen one post that says they no
>longer can get Diet Orange (Coke).  I haven't checked that out as yet but
>I would see the reasoning in it since in something  with acid they would
>have to use much more aspartame, and "they" may be getting many more
>complaints.

Hate to inform you of this, Betty, but all mainstream (i.e. Coke,
Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7-up, ...) soft drinks are chock-full
of acid.  Phosphoric acid, in particular.  Take a look at a
label sometime.  (Or ask your dentist!)

It's much more likely that Diet Orange Coke is no longer avaailable
(I have to admit that I've never even seen it) because the market
share of it was so tiny.

Tim. (shoppa at altair.krl.caltech.edu)