URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Thu Aug 3 10:21:46 EST 1995

Dear Chilton:  In answer to your question about yogurt and aspartame, we
are getting complaints on it - especially this TCBY you get in airports.
However, I noted from some posts that people saying they are taking
aspartame out of some yogurts.  I believe they are starting to withdraw
it in several things.  You may have seen one post that says they no
longer can get Diet Orange (Coke).  I haven't checked that out as yet but
I would see the reasoning in it since in something  with acid they would
have to use much more aspartame, and "they" may be getting many more
complaints.

The last complaint I got on yogurt was from a lady in Cordelene, Idaho who
said she had a severe reaction.  .  Most people don't even complain to
the FDA, and some don't associate their complaints with aspartame.  Yet,
on the April, l995 complaint file on aspartame they listed 136 complaints
on the frozen confections.  They say only about 1% complain.  The
majority of the complaints coming in are on diet soft drinks where they
list 3021 complaints. And many people have told me the FDA turn their
complaints away.  Many people have told me, for instance, they have been
told they are not taking complaints on headaches.  However, they list 1847.
In the June Food Chemical News the FDA says they are no longer going to
compile complaints on NutraSweet.  The April, l995 report listed 10,000
complaints!  I guess if you're not going to do anything about them why
compile!!!

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty