Aspartame (actual facts!)

Timothy D. Shoppa shoppa at almach.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 3 18:35:00 EST 1995

In article <DCqx3D.LG2 at cunews.carleton.ca>, ataylor at superior.carleton.ca (alex taylor) writes...

>	I was surprised to see that the structure was in my (now) old
>organic chemistry text. It is H-Asp-Phe-OCH3. Does anyone know what the
>*precise** concentration of aspartame is in a typical can of pop? Brett
>seemed to indicate that it was less than sugar, but he did not say by how
>much.

*Much* less.  Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sucrose, which itself
is about twice as sweet as glucose.  (All of these figures are by
weight).

The exact composition of the sweetener in non-diet colas varies, depending
on the cost of corn syrup and the other possible sweeteners at the time
of bottling.

Tim. (shoppa at altair.krl.caltech.edu)