Aspartame (actual facts!)

Timothy D. Shoppa shoppa at
Thu Aug 3 18:35:00 EST 1995

In article <DCqx3D.LG2 at>, ataylor at (alex taylor) writes...
>	I was surprised to see that the structure was in my (now) old
>organic chemistry text. It is H-Asp-Phe-OCH3. Does anyone know what the
>*precise** concentration of aspartame is in a typical can of pop? Brett
>seemed to indicate that it was less than sugar, but he did not say by how

*Much* less.  Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sucrose, which itself
is about twice as sweet as glucose.  (All of these figures are by

The exact composition of the sweetener in non-diet colas varies, depending
on the cost of corn syrup and the other possible sweeteners at the time
of bottling.

Tim. (shoppa at