URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Charles M. Kozierok ixl at rice-chex.ai.mit.edu
Fri Aug 4 08:46:14 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950802224917.3189H-100000 at noel.pd.org>,
Betty Martini  <betty at noel.pd.org> wrote:
} The hospital pharmacy prepared 300 mg. capsules of aspartame for some
} participants and sugar placebos for others. (NutraSweet Co denied the
} request from the researchers to purchase the aspartame for the study, so
} the capsules were provided by Schweizerhall, Inc. of New Jersey).  A 154
} pound person ingested seven of the prepared capsules daily - the
} approximate aspartame equivalent would be 10 to 12 cans of diet sodas.

I won't comment on the rest of this since so many have already.
At first I found it interesting but now have serious concerns
about its believability.

I'll just say this: do you know of many 154-pound persons who daily
ingest over a *gallon* of diet soda?  I sure as hell don't.

I weigh 200 pounds and normally consume about 2 cans of soda a day.
That's about equivalent to *1* of your 300 mg capsules, and I weigh
more than your average subject.  So even if your results happened,
what does it matter?  What is the point of a study based on an
inherently flawed assumption?  Two beers a day is not a health risk,
14 probably are!  Three cups of coffee a day versus 21?  Give me a break.

PS Along with the pills, did these subjects also ingest the gallon
of liquid that the 10 to 12 cans of soda represent?  Don't you think
that would have some impact?  Wouldn't the liquid help the body get
rid of much of the chemical content you are concerned about anyway?

-*-
charles, not a medical expert but trying to inject some reason here...