Aspartame (actual facts!)

alex taylor ataylor at superior.carleton.ca
Fri Aug 4 12:24:40 EST 1995

In article <jstream-040895093343 at girch46.med.uth.tmc.edu>,
Rifle River <jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu> wrote:
>In article <3AUG199515351610 at almach.caltech.edu>, shoppa at almach.caltech.edu
>(Timothy D. Shoppa) wrote:
>
>> >*precise** concentration of aspartame is in a typical can of pop? Brett
>> >seemed to indicate that it was less than sugar, but he did not say by how
>> >much.
>
>> *Much* less.  Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sucrose,
>
>For a 12 oz. can of soda, aspartame is used in the low milligram range
>while sucrose or high fructose corn syrup is used in the low gram range.

	Assuming low milligram range means 10 mg. or so, I would be
inclined to agree that there is no possible way that substantial
quantites of methanol or formaldehyde could be generated -- even assuming
ester hydrolysis and primary alcohol oxidation reactions went to
completion. I also chcked the information I had on the closest
neuropeptides (the RF series peptides such as FLRF and FMRF). One of them
has been located in the human visual pathways, but the structure activity
studies indicate that both the R and F residue are critical, moroever the
terminal residue has an amino functional group appended rather than a
methanol. Thanks for the info and sorry, Betty, I agreed there was
something to the RBSt thread, but I think this one is headed for the kill
file.

Alex Taylor