URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Joseph Bret Wood bretwood at cs.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 4 02:25:55 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950803113332.6088D-100000 at noel.pd.org>,
Betty Martini  <betty at noel.pd.org> wrote:

>Merck Index: Tenth Edition: 5816: Methanol:  Methyl alcohol..wood alcohol...
>"Poisoning may occur from ingestion, inhalation or percutaneous
>absorption.  Acute Effects:  Headache, fatigue, nausea, visual impairment
>or complete blindness (may be permanently), acidosis,
>convulsions..respiratory failure, death.  Death from ingestion of less
>than 30 ml. has been reported. .."
>
>That's very interesting since this is what we see with aspartame, and I
>for one don't want methanol in my food and drink or body.  Yes, it is a
>solvent, and thats what it should be used for not added for food.

I've been trying to stay calm with all of the stupid crap flying around on
this subject, but this has to be one of the dumbest posts in the thread.

If we were to substitute Ethanol (also known as Ethyl alcohol, and grain
alcohol) in place of Methanol, guess what?  The only things that would
change would be the toxic dose, and the possibility of permanent blindness.

And your comment about using solvents as solvents, and not as food additives
is even more stupid.

I challenge you to avoid eating or drinking anything which contains a solvent
for just two weeks.  I think that a significant number of people on the
internet would appreciate the results.

-Bret Wood
-bretwood at cs.uoregon.edu