sleep

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Aug 4 10:17:28 EST 1995

>I would like to comment on this in two ways.  First, I like the idea of a
>hippocampal-neocortical active refresh loop.  I've always thought that the
>experimental evidence regarding the hippocampus and memory suggests that
>the hippocampus is a kind of "resonance chamber" for keeping certain
>temporal and frontal cortical circuits activated, possibly needed for the
>chaining of cortical attractors to form an attractor cascade which might
>correspond to event memories and consciousness.  It might be true that
>sleep in involved in some sort of hippocampal-neocortical dynamics.
>However, still have still have a problem of what refresh means.  It might be
>that the hippocampus' role is more one-to-one, and so would admit of a
>refresh mechanism, which is then consolidated into the cortex's more
>complicated and interwoven system of "memory" slowly over time.  But then
>we still have the problem of how this process can affect our memories
>without "affecting" them :-) (i.e. without leaving a trace that it occured).
>>>>>>>>CUT>>>>
>Richard Long
>long at acme.ist.ucf.edu
>University of Central Florida

Remember that movement is suppressed during sleep.  So the memory component
of movement would have to be erased during "resonance".  So the information
component would be refreshed or reprocessed.  This could be part of the
function of REM.  The attractors could be major resonnances for a pure
idea.  REM could be to store information under such models.
Ron Blue