[Q] neuromodulation/satiation

Mark R. Opp, Ph.D. mopp at beach.utmb.edu
Sat Aug 5 15:20:40 EST 1995

mobus at sanjuan.cs.wwu.edu (George Mobus) wrote:
>Could anyone help a groping (for knowledge :-) computer scientist with the
>name of a neuromodulator that is released as a result of satiation in mammals.
>I seem to recall having seen this recently, stored the notion in "one of those
>interesting facts" category and now find I could use a reference!  Any help
>would be appreciated.  Please email responses.

>George Mobus, Ph.D.                                 Office: BH-310
>Visiting Assistant Professor                        (360) 650-6520
>Dept. of Computer Science                           mobus at sanjuan.cs.wwu.edu
>Western Washington University
>Bellingham, WA 98226

Cholecystokinin (CCK) is a gastrointestinal hormone/neuropeptide that has
several autonomic and behavioral effects including suppression of food
intake and elicitation of the behavioral sequence of satiety.  It is
hypothesized that CCJ contributes to the short-term regulation of feeding
and it is often regarded as a satiety hormone.  For a review see Baile,
CA et al. Physiol. Rev. 66:172-234, 1986.  The behavioral effects of CCK
include enhancing sleep; it may therefore also contribute to postprandial
sleepiness (see Kapas, L., et al. Physiol. Behav. 50:1241-1244, 1991.