Russell Turpin turpin at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 7 18:35:34 EST 1995

In article <aa4lr-0708951746200001 at>,
Bill Coleman AA4LR <aa4lr at radio.org> wrote:
> The quantities of methanol in Aspartame are quite small. Some
> foods have much larger concentrations of methanol. (ie Lemon Peel)
> If Aspartame has any deleterious effect in the general population,
> methanol is probably not the culprit. Phenylalanine [sic] is
> probably a more definite problem.

The above comments apply even more strongly to phenylalanine,
which is an amino acid present in most proteins.  I suspect
one gets more of it in a slice of cheese than in a diet coke.
(Of course, some people may be unusually susceptible to either
substance.  A small group, those suffering PKU, must strictly
control phenylalanine in their diet, which causes much more
trouble than merely avoiding aspartame.)

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
                                                        -- Albert Einstein