URGENT: NutraSweet/MENTHANOL/TRUTH

Russell Turpin turpin at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 7 18:35:34 EST 1995

-*-----
In article <aa4lr-0708951746200001 at 205.160.29.40>,
Bill Coleman AA4LR <aa4lr at radio.org> wrote:
> The quantities of methanol in Aspartame are quite small. Some
> foods have much larger concentrations of methanol. (ie Lemon Peel)
> If Aspartame has any deleterious effect in the general population,
> methanol is probably not the culprit. Phenylalanine [sic] is
> probably a more definite problem.

The above comments apply even more strongly to phenylalanine,
which is an amino acid present in most proteins.  I suspect
one gets more of it in a slice of cheese than in a diet coke.
(Of course, some people may be unusually susceptible to either
substance.  A small group, those suffering PKU, must strictly
control phenylalanine in their diet, which causes much more
trouble than merely avoiding aspartame.)

Russell
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
                                                        -- Albert Einstein