Flu vs meningitis

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 8 23:25:55 EST 1995

>In article <9508071457592.The_Win-D.syama at delphi.com>, syama at delphi.com
>(Sunil Khemaney) wrote:
>
>> Can you catch flu from someone who has just received flu shots
>> and is exhibiting flu symptoms?
>>
>No, because the flu shot is NOT causing the recipient to exhibit flu
>symptoms. They are having a reaction to the shot, but it is not flu.

I don't agree with this comment. I recall that flu vaccine is either killed
(formaldehyde treated) or replication deficient virus that is used to
sensitise the person to that particular mix of surface antigens. If the
symptoms are due to the immune response to these antigens then it is
entirely possible that they have a flu like course. of course no virus is
being produced but you still feel like you've been run over by a tank. BTW
I seem to recall that interferon is tied up with generation of these
symptoms in the immune response, whichis why it's not the wonder drug that
it cracked up to be.

in a way the "reaction to the shot" is just that.

>This is a case of misperception by the public that even though they
>got the flu shot they came down with the flu anyway - often right
>after getting the shot. What really happened is they caught one of the
>hundreds of other cold/flu viruses, not the one they were vaccinated
>against, and then blame the flu shot.

however, as flu takes hold every 2nd winter here I suppose that a
coincident infection with another flu virus can't be ruled out.

RICHARD

--
snip