PET scan, migraine

Leslie Kay lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 9 15:37:30 EST 1995

In article <DD0EEo.HJE at world.std.com>,  <skerrett at world.std.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to track down a PET (or any other) scan that shows what
>happens to the brain during a migraine headache. Does any one know where
>I can find such a thing? It is meant to accompany an article on migraine
>headaches and their treatment.

Look up articles by Roger Woods of the UCLA brain mapping group.  He (and
colleagues) had the good fortune to have one of their subjects have a
full-blown migraine (from start to finish), while she was in the PET
scanner.  I only have the LA times article about it, from Monday,
December 26, 1994, so presumably the journal article came out
around then.
I should add that the subject volunteered to "try" to have a migraine
in the machine and to stay in the machine throughout the entire migraine.

Leslie Kay
lmk2 at GARNET.berkeley.edu