To Betty Martini

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Wed Aug 9 23:01:39 EST 1995

Dear Jody:  There was a doubleblind study (not financed by NutraSweet)
that was done.  ADVERSE REACTIONS TO ASPARTAME; DOUBLE-BLIND CHALLENGE IN
PATIENTS FROM A VULNERABLE POPULATION (Ralph G. Walton, Robert Hudak and
Ruth J. Green-Waite).  1993 SOCIETY OF BIOLOGICAL PSYCHIATRY.  NutraSweet
knew it would be an unbiased study so they refused to sell Dr. Walton the
aspartame.  They had to purchase analytically certified USP grade
aspartame from a distributor.  They had to stop the study.  The patients
complained of being poisoned, retinal detachments, eyes bleeding, etc.

Then NutraSweet funded a study for Dr. Diana Dow Edwards on birth
defects. When she started getting disastrous results they withdrew their
funding.

The original studies were flawed and if you want to read the history just
email me for auto-responder instructions.  I wouldn't want to be a guinea
pig for a study with aspartame.  Originally Dr. Harry Waisman studied the
effects of aspartame on primates.  Seven infant monkeys were fed the
chemical in milk.  One died after 300 days, 5 others had Grand Mal
seizures.  Searle deleted these findings when they submitted his study to
the FDA!  They kept on sacrificing monkeys and then they went to rats.
The rats got brain tumors, they excised the tumors and put them back in
the study.  In the Bressler Study when someone of them died Searle
resurrected them back on paper!  The history of NutraSweet is quite a
story. It was kept off the market for 16 years, probably because of the
brain tumors and seizures.

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty