Anything on Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

alex taylor ataylor at superior.carleton.ca
Fri Aug 11 11:16:50 EST 1995

In article <jstream-110895091204 at girch46.med.uth.tmc.edu>,
Rifle River <jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu> wrote:
>In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950811010025.25645E-100000 at noel.pd.org>, Betty
>Martini <betty at noel.pd.org> wrote:
>
>> Homogizination protects hormones.
>
>Do you know what your digestive system does to these hormones?
>
>> Without IGF we would have no cancer growing.
>
>Have you told anyone else, especially those researching on cancer, this
>important finding of yours?  Have you thought about what would happen to
>all the other cells of your body without IGF?
>
>> milk causes diabetes.  In some people.  Sometimes.  Maybe.
>
>Would you care to add any more disclaimers to your alarming statements?
>Such as I wish I understood what I was saying...
>
>> proposed that a protein in cow's milk causes the body to mount an immune
>
>Any chance he was referring to Beta-lactoglobulin or other common milk
>proteins?  Your inuendo is pitiful.
>
>>  The people don't have a chance!
>
>You're right, they have no chance at all to obtain true and useful
>information over the shouting of all the paranoid.
>
>Rifle River
>jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu

	We've already had this debate. There is far more information to
substantiate Betty's claim on this issue than on the aspartame issue. If
you were following about a month ago John Robichaud and myself exchanged a
series of citations on the subject of IGF1 and RBSt. They are protected
from proteolysis in the gut by casein, a normal constituent of milk.
Moreover there are receptors for IGF1 in the lining of the intestine.
Lastly a group of British researchers have raised serious health concerns
about the product. These concerns were debated in a series of articles in
the Lancet which I cited in the earlier thread. Right now there is simplky
not enough information for Montsanto/Eli-Lilly to make the claim that the
product is safe, furthermore the product is of marginal economic benefit
to either farmers or consumers, which is why many U.S. dairy farmers have
stopped using it. Given these concerns, the EEC banned the use of RBSt
until the year 2000 -- I think correctly, by which time it is hoped that
better detection methods and more information is known about both human
and animal health issues.