Anything on Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

alex taylor ataylor at superior.carleton.ca
Sat Aug 12 12:00:59 EST 1995

In article <jstream-120895101321 at girch46.med.uth.tmc.edu>,
Rifle River <jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu> wrote:
>In article <DD5MK2.6EL at cunews.carleton.ca>, ataylor at superior.carleton.ca
>(alex taylor) wrote:
>
>> series of citations on the subject of IGF1 and RBSt.
>
>Well, would you be so kind as to cite maybe the three most important
>references you have?  Or do you intend to keep them a private secret
>between you and John?

	The juiciest and nastiest exchange in the literature occured in
series of letters in the Lancet starting the 16th of July (vol. 343 pg.
197), it continues in 344:815 and I believe there is also a letter in the
Nov. 19th issue (page 1445?). There is also a reference in the Journal of
the Royal Society (Medecine) 85: 736-39.

>> from proteolysis in the gut by casein, a normal constituent of milk.
>> Moreover there are receptors for IGF1 in the lining of the intestine.
>
>Even if this is true this doesn't say a thing about harmful side effects.
>I would be specifically interested in any good studies you've seen
>supporting harmful side effects.

	Yes I know what you're saying, however the claim that is being
made is that more testing is required, and that methods need to be
developed that will discriminate between the BST that is already in the
cow and the BST that is added -- the two molecules are not exactly the
same, after all one is grown up in bacteria.

>> not enough information for Montsanto/Eli-Lilly to make the claim that the
>> product is safe
>
>Fine, but Betty claims it's harmful.  Where are the references to support
>that claim?

	Actually, I think that Betty's claim is that IGF1 and the
increased level of antibiotic is whats dangerous. The references above
should give you a starting point.

>That would depend on which consumers you are talking about.  I know some
>people who would pay big bucks for IGF-1

	Bodybuilders per chance? I wouldn't take it -- the links between
colon cancer and IGF1 may not be conclusive, but then neither were the
links between steroids and liver damage/heart disease. Growth hormones can
be awfully potent. Dairy farmers use RBSt to increase milk production.
Trouble is it makes the cows more sick more often and increases the amount
of twinning. The milk might also contain elevated levels of IGF1.

>Yes, I missed the earlier threads.  What's RBSt?

	Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin. Given that it is already
well-known that a number of tumerous growths depend on the presence of
anabolic hormones, the fear is that this one too will provide permissive
conditions for tumors (or rather IGF1 will). As the primary consumer of
milk are infants and children (who are especially vulnerable) even a small
change in the concentration or the post-translational processing of either
hormone might be enough to have an effect.