The neuron as an analog NOT digital system

Marc Anton ma2 at delta1.deltanet.com
Fri Aug 11 18:45:23 EST 1995

Mike Taffe writes:

> Are you so certain that the reductionist approach is *not* helping?

No, it certainly has its place.

>  I can see
> value in people who work with, say, receptor binding as well as...

I'm certainly not knocking this type of work.

> ..Wrong.  To model complex systems simplistically is science...

Right, but the neural "models", at some level, are taken by
many to actually constitute a brain-like system with higher
human-like understanding, feelings, etc. You can make it look
like a duck, walk like a duck, and quack like a duck, but that
doesn't neccessarily make it even remotely close to one.