? on drugs and DA/NE/5-HT reuptake

Wayne Radinsky waynerad at oz.net
Sat Aug 12 18:40:12 EST 1995

Hello all,

Cocaine inhibits dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake.  Prozac (fluoxetine)
inhibits serotonin reuptake.  Over time, cocaine causes serious depletion
of dopamine and norepinephrine, because they get released and metabolized
instead of released and re-taken-up.  Prozac, on the other hand, apparently
does not cause depletion of serotonin over time.  Why?  Dopamine,
norepinephrine, and serotonin are all low-molecular-weight biogenic
amine neurotransmitters and blocking reuptake ought to (it seems to me)
affect them all in basically the same way.

I figure this is either a simple question with a complex answer, or there
is something really obvious that I've overlooked.  Since this is my first
post to bionet.neuroscience, I hope this question isn't too silly ;-).

Wayne