? on drugs and DA/NE/5-HT reuptake

Jason Kennerly jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Mon Aug 14 02:23:03 EST 1995

Weird. Will Ritalin, as a DA and NE reuptake inhibitor, also display this
behaviour? I know cocaine does some peculiar stuff because of its ability
to "numb"... which Ritalin may lack?? (Cocaine is more of a depressant
than most if all DAergic drugs I have been told).

Also, out of curiosity, I have seen many posts that claim that SSRI class
drugs will reduce the effects of MDMA. While the reports are anecdotal at
best, they are fairly undisputed. The reason for the mixing seems to be
concern over damage to serotonergic neurons, and the "conclusion" was
that those wishing SSRI "protection" should take the SSRI 3 to 6 hours
after the MDMA.

Now, the question: I've noticed Ritalin and Dexedrine are very rarely
prescribed together. This could very well be because of the paperwork
involved, but lately I have wondered if the two wouldnt compete with each
other, in spite of different modes of action (methylphenidate inhibits
reuptake but d-amphetamine actually induces release).

Also, is there any concievable reason why Dexedrine made me sleepy/fall
asleep but Ritalin can keep me awake??? What are the DA - NE - 5HT ratio
for the various drugs???

--
    /    \ |      \|   /\   |     \   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
  /___/\   \___|>   >       |__|>   > BORN TO BE WIRED...
 /         |       /   /\  |       /  All the sugar and twice the
 \_________|______/|___\/__|______/   caffeine of regular netusers!
 finger me and make a pgp key come.