Quartz electrodes vs. boro-silicate electrodes

Dr. Alex aledain at receptor.pharm.uwa.edu.au
Sun Aug 13 20:13:23 EST 1995

In article <40i9tc$cuv at news.danadata.dk>,
   lthomsen at aix1.danadata.dk (Lars Thomsen) wrote:

>The company claims that the quartz electrodes are stronger and with
>better electrical properties than normal boro-silicate electrodes.
>
>Does anyone have experience with quartz electrodes ?

I don't have any experience with quartz electrodes, but I think the
extra cost might come about because of the higher heat required to
melt (and possiby stronger pull strengths required?). Although I
would have thought it might still be possible to pull the quartz
electrodes with the P-97. (I've got a P-87)

The upshot is that it really depends on what you're trying to do with
your experiments. My experience has been 99% of the time you can use
borosilicate, so unless you have a real need, it might just be a
waste of money better spent on something else.

cheers, Alex.

Dr. Alex C. Le Dain              aledain at receptor.pharm.uwa.edu.au
Dept. Pharmacology               Ph  (09) 346 4650
University of Western Australia  Fax (09) 346 3469
Nedlands, WA 6907