More To Betty Martini

Mark Gold mgold at max.tiac.net
Mon Aug 14 16:17:31 EST 1995

: From: jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Rifle River)
: Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
: Subject: Re: More To Betty Martini
: Date: 14 Aug 1995 14:42:32 GMT
:
: > 2.  The Walton study was not flawed to begin with.  How do you flaw a
: > study before you start.
:
: It's called poor design.  They used 8 subjects suffering from unipolar
: depression and you are surprised that NutraSweet didn't want to
: participate?

Rifle,

Nice try.  The protocol called for 40 subjects to be tested.  Once
again, you seem to be suggesting that there is something wrong with
testing a suceptible population.  The only reason for NutraSweet to
avoid providing aspartame in this experiment was that they knew that
they could not control the outcome -- i.e., the protocol as designed
was of a high enough quality that adverse reactions would likely have
been found -- and they were as you could see from the table I posted.

: > because Searle used the wrong test when the right one was available, the
: > wrong solution, didn't test for breakdown products and didn't test for
: > temperature elevation.  If you know you're going to get results that
: > won't pass, I guess the best thing to do is not do them correctly to
: > begin with.
:
: Why doesn't this same critical analysis apply to the studies that agree
: with your position?  Can you say bias?

I would like to see Walton's study repeated by *independent*
investigators with more subjects.  I would also like to see
real-world aspartame products used, a longer experiment, and better
selection of test and control groups.  Otherwise, I think Walton's
study was very good and raises serious concerns about the alleged
"safety" of short-term use of NutraSweet in vulnerable populations.

: Because aspartame readily breaks down within 6 months, and its not uncommon
: for someone to get a Diet Pepsi out of a vending machine that tastes
: absolutely awful.  But, I guess taste is too simple an explanation for why
: they added freshness dating...

Aspartame starts to break down in liquid products immediately.  The
rate of breakdown is dependent mainly upon the temperature and pH.
Stored at room temperature (e.g., store display, garage, etc.) a liter
of diet cola will have less than 1/3 the original amount of aspartame
in it after six months.  In fact, it will have almost as much
aspartylphenylalanine diketopiperazine (DKP) as aspartame.  After one
week or one month, the aspartame is still breaking down, but
obviously not as much has broken down.

As of three weeks ago, Diet Pepsi sodas were the only ones with
expiration dates on them.  Even with expiration dates, my local
survey turned up a number of 2-liter bottles which had expired but
were still being sold.

: > The next point was that I said that aspartic acid and phenylalanine
: > without the other amino acids in protein go past the blood brain barrier
: > and deteriorate the neurons of the brains.  You said:  "What reference"?
: > The reference is:  DAAD; DEFENSE AGAINST ALZHEIMERS DISEASE by DR. H. J.
: > Roberts.  It is discussed in the book and it was discussed at Dr. Roberts
: > seminar on Alzheimer.  If you want the book which has now been nominated
: > for a Pulitzer you can get it at 1 800 814-9800.  Also, the neurosurgeon,
: > Dr. Russell Blaylock, in his book EXCITOTOXINS; THE TASTE THAT KILLS says:
: > "The ingredients in NutraSweet literally stimulate the neurons of the
: > brain to death." Health Press 1 800 -643-2665.

: Any peer-reviewed references?  The fact that John Mack MD of Harvard can
: put out a book on alien abductions shows how easy it is to have a book
: published regardless of the quality of the evidence presented.

Why don't you check out the book.  There are hundreds of
peer-reviewed references.  Besides, we've went over the issue of
excitotoxins in detail and I've listed numerous references for you to
check out -- if you were paying attention.

: > It was Dr. Harry Waisman who studied the effects of aspartame on
: > primates. Seven infant monkeys were fed the chemical in milk.  One died
: > after 300 days, 5 others had Grand Mal Seizures.  Searle deleted these
: > findings when they submitted his study to the FDA!

: And how did you find out about this?  Please enlighten us.

The FDA investigation turned up this fact and the fact that most of
Searle's tests were worthless.

: > NutraSweet was never proven safe

: I, personally, have not examined the hundreds of studies that have tested
: aspartame's safety.  However, are you trying to tell me that every one was
: flawed and hundreds of researchers are unethical?  I find this hard to
: swallow.

A researcher doesn't have to be unethical to conduct a flawed test.

I would be happy to discuss the research on aspartame, especially as it
related to neurological issues.

Best regards,
                          - Mark
                       mgold at tiac.net