Unethical practices - drug industry

Kurt James Purcell purcell at ee.ualberta.ca
Wed Aug 16 12:51:57 EST 1995

maikai at aol.com (MAIKAI) writes:

>I also got copies of the drugs the last several years----shows the
>dyazide, synthroid, premarin.  No remarks about medical history--but
>pharmacist knew about the hypertension.  I think the pharmacy had lousy
>record keeping.  The doc had the history right in front of him-----she had
>switched to him a few months earlier, when her normal one
>retired.

     I'm not too sure of the laws in the US or the rest of the world, but in
Canada, you have to keep a record of all the drugs dispensed from a pharmacy
for each patient for two years.  If they had sloppy record keeping, they
should lose the pharmacy licence, as well as the pharmacists losing their
personal licences to practice.  That's the whole idea of keeping records in
the first place - so you can spot drug-interactions and allergies that the
physician may have missed.

     She was on synthroid and had high blood pressure???  Both are contra-
indicated on the packaging for any decongestant.  Both the pharmacist
and the physician should have known this.  Even if they didn't know she had
High Blood Pressure, the synthroid should have made them think twice before
giving it to her.

     As an aside here, I understand what decongestants can do to people.
My mother (who is 57) a few years ago had a very bad cold, so stopped at
the pharmacy for a decongestant.  They gave her a sustained release
tab that was 240mg (it has since been taken off the market, as too
many people were having adverse reactions).  She was awake for 2 days,
it gave her such a buzz.  She was washing the bathroom ceiling at 3 in
the morning because she was so peppy.  When she came down from it, she slept
for 2 days.  My brother in university had heard the rumor that if you took
alot of these decongestants, you can stay up all night to study, so he did.
I got a phone call at 2 am from him.. He couldn't stop sweating and shaking
(he's also been drinking alot of coffee).  Had it gotten too bad, I guess
we would have had to take him to the hospital to be tranquilized.  Had either
of them had high blood pressure, I would have been very concerned that they
might have had a stroke.  Ummmm.  why don't people follow the
instructions on the package??  They're not there to make the box look
pretty.

Michelle LaBrosse-Purcell
B.Sc.(pharmacology)
purcell at nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca