HELNET'95 Final Call for Papers

name at rulfyj.leidenuniv.nl name at rulfyj.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Aug 17 04:35:25 EST 1995

  Helnet presents .......

**  ** ****** **      **   ** ****** ******   ******  ******
**  ** **     **      ***  ** **       **     *    *  *
****** ****** **      ** **** ******   **     ******  ******
**  ** **     **      **  *** **       **          *       *
**  ** ****** *****   **   ** ******   **     ******  ******

                     04.10 - 07.10.95

                     Vacanciel, France

                       Sponsored by
           Dynamical Systems Research Ltd., London, UK

                    HELNET'95 Call for Papers

Introduction

The aim of the Helnet series of conferences is to progress
beyond the "report-and-step down" atmosphere of the
current mammoth conferences in the field of Neural
Networks, which is oriented towards optimizing the
throughput of information, but is not optimal for a
meaningful exchange of ideas and concepts among
participants.

It is thus attempted to create a trustful,
personal atmosphere, facilitating  presentations given in a
self-critical fashion, allowing for constructive criticism
by the audience, and requiring an active participation of
everyone. This results in a more fruitful exchange of ideas
and inspirations than the classical conferences.

The creation of such an atmosphere implies a relaxing
setting and a generous amount of discussion time between
the presentations to allow for participants to get to know
each other and digest the information obtained.

In 1994, this aim was achieved by the Island of Capri being
the conference site, and plenty of off-time to discuss and
get acquainted. This year's site will Domaine d'Imbours in
he village of Vacanciel, approximatly 170 klm. south of Lyon.
This calm, secluded site in Southern France, encased in a
small vallee off the Rhone valley, offers full board,
excellent 3-5 courses lunch and dinner, plenty of woods and
meadows to recreate, as well as, a modern installation, with
swimming pool, fitness room, sauna and tennis courts.

The style of the HELNET'95 workshop will be similar to that of
the HELNET'94 meeting with max. 40 participants and room for
round table discussion. The closed sessions will be aimed
mostly at young researchers in Neural Networks to discuss new
developments in NN and current problems. Most of the papers
will be from PhD students and young Post-Doc researchers in
the field. We also encourage young researchers from related
fields to register and submit a paper.

Subjects and Topics

The subjects of the conference are twofold, to allow for a
more focused approach, without losing the richness
stemming from interdisciplinary exchange:

- Formal Description of Dynamics and Functionality
  of (Artificial) Neural Systems: Interdisciplinary Approach

- New Applications of Neural Networks: Commercial
  Feasability and Comparison to Traditional Methods"

This scope allows to incorporate applications of
connectionistic systems as well as theoretical studies of
the dynamics of non-linear neural systems or related
structures.

The following papers and discussion topics (among others) have
been proposed so far:
- Local minimal realizations of dynamic network architectures.
- Self-controlling chaos in neuronmodules.
- Factorial learning of multivariate time series.
- Complexity measures for neural networks.
- The hypercycle in an algorithm.
- Temporal sequence recognition: invariant properties.
- Training weightless networks to understand compositionality.
- Hardware development experiences for Neural Networks.
- Neural Networks for adaptive color-based segmentation.
- Comparison of symbolic and connectionist learning.
- Local methods compared to non-local methods.
- Improving error correction capability of Hopfield networks
  in the case of saturation.

To structure the meeting over the four days, we ask each
participant to fill out the registration form and send it
by e-mail to the workshop secretary (address and form below).
Please send this form even if you are not sure whether you will
attend.

Workshop Format

The style of the workshop will be similar to the Helnet 94
meeting with max. 40 participants and more room for
round table discussion on topics.

The closed sessions will be aimed mostly for
young researchers to talk about the problems they are
encountering in their research efforts and to outline NEW
ideas or directions that they think are important to follow
in future research. This meeting is primarily intended for
young researchers in  Neural Networks to discuss new
developments in NN and current problems. Most of the papers
will be from PhD students and young Post-Doc researchers in
the field. We also encourage young researchers from related
fields to register and submit a
paper.

To structure the meeting over the four days, we ask each
participant to send an e-mail (see address and form below)
of four topics they would like to see discussed at the
meeting. The proposed programme will be sent out later. Please
send this form even if you are not sure you will attend.

Dates

The dates (04-07 October 1995) of the HELNET'95 have been
chosen to allow a  smooth transition to ICANN 95 which will
take place immediatly following HELNET'95 (09-13 October
1995) in Paris. Using the fast TGV train a smooth connection
from HELNET'95 (Montelimar train station) to ICANN 95 is possible.

Registration Fee

 The registation fee for the HELNET'95 workshop are 2100 FF
for participants and 1750 FF for accompanying persons. This
includes full board, use of fascilities, transportation to
and from railway station, as well as, workshop material.
Methods of payment are indicated below in the registration
form. Payment by charging American Express Card is possible.
Notification of cancellation should be sent in writing to
the workshop secretary (see below) and must be received
before September 27, in which case a refund of FF 1700 will
be made (FF. 1500 for accompanying persons). Cancellations
received after this date will not be refunded.

Deadlines

The deadlines for registration and the submission of papers is
set at September 1. Payment of the registration fee should be
received by September 8 at the very latest.

Papers

Submitted papers will be reviewed. They can be based on
previously published papers, but talk and presentation
should also focus on limits, disadvantages, and problems
of approaches taken.

While submission of a paper is strongly encouraged, it
is -not- necessary in order to be able to participate in the
conference.

Three copies (one original and two copies) of the paper must
be  submitted.  Original must be
- camera ready,
- on 8.5x11-inch white paper,
- one-column format in Times or similar fontstyle,
- 10 points font size or larger,
- with one-inch margins on all four sides.

Do not fold or staple the original camera
ready copy.  The paper must not exceed ten pages
(4-6 pages is usual), including figures, tables, and
references, and should be written in English.  Centered at
the top of the first page should be
- the complete title,
- author name(s),
- affiliation(s) and
- mailing address(es).

In the accompanying letter, the following information must be
included:
- Full title of paper,
- Corresponding authors name, address, telephone and
  fax numbers,
- Presenter's name, address, telephone and fax numbers.

Mail papers and to (and/or obtain further information from):

Marcel van der Heyden
Department of Physiology
Leiden University
P.O. Box 9604
2300 RC  Leiden
the Netherlands
Tel: + 31 (0)71 276751
Fax: + 31 (0)71 276782
email: heijden at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl

Organising Committee

- Harald Huening, Rheinlaendisch-Westfaelische Technische
  Hochschule  Aachen, Germany
- Dr. Janko Mrsic-Flogel Imperial College London, UK
- Marcel J. van der Heyden Leiden University, the
  Netherlands
- Dr. Konrad Weigl Dynamical Systems Research,
  London, UK

Registration

Accompanying persons are very welcome.

For registration and more information, please print fill out the
registration form even if you are not sure you will attend.

DATABASE DETAILS

Title:

Name:

Position:

Institution:

Address:

Tel:

Work:

e-mail:

Accompanying persons:

Who are you ?

( ) I am a HELNET member
( ) I have attended HELNET parties !!!
( ) I am new to HELNET
( ) I am not involved in Neural Networks but would like to
    attend just for fun

Your Paper

( ) I would like to present a paper with the following title
   (write below):

    Title:

( ) I would just like to participate in the discussion.

Proposed Topics for Discussion

( ) I would like to propose the following four topics for round
    table discussion:

1.

2.

3.

4.

( ) I can't think of anything interesting at the moment.

Registration

( ) I have attended the HELNET'94 meeting

( ) I will attend the HELNET'95 meeting.

( ) I am  still thinking about attending the meeting

( ) I am sorry, but I am not able to attend the meeting

Method of Payment

( ) A bank transfer has been made (free of bank charges) to
    M.J. van der Heyden
    Credit Lyonnais Bank Nederland
    Leiden
    Account No.: 64.48.59.210               Amount:

( ) Charge my American Express card: (please send this in writing)

    Card No.   :

    Expiry date:

Signature:_____________________

Date:______________

Please return the form to the workshop secretary (adress below)
even if you are not sure you will attend.

Marcel J. van der Heyden
Department of Physiology
Leiden University
PO Box 9604