GAP 43

Jerry Clayton claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
Thu Aug 17 00:10:17 EST 1995

Deborah,
A monoclonal AB is available from Boehringer Mannheim.  It is the one
developed by Pate Skene and company.  His papers are worth reading.
There are others available like the one that Larry Benowitz developed
(polyclonal) but my experience was that the monoclonal was easier to
work with.  Please be aware that some of these antibodies identify
either the phosphorylated, the non-phosphorylated or both forms of this
protein and they can give different results.  Mostly along the lines of
identifying fibers mostly or neuronal somata.  I did my doctoral thesis
on this protein a couple of years back and found it to be an interesting
story.  To my knowledge no one knows its exact function but clues are
being discovered rapidly.  These antibodies are great for following
regeneration etc. if that is what you had in mind.  I used them in
studying developing fetal transplants and others have done similar
studies.  If you can't find what you are looking for or have some
questions regarding their use drop me some e-mail.  Good Luck!!!
P.S.  Also look in the "Linscotts" directory, if you can find someone
that has it, to find other possible purvayors of GAP-43 antibodies.
As I stated earlier, make sure what forms of the protein the antibodies
identify.
Jerry Clayton
Dept. of Neurology
Univ of Colo. Health Sciences Center