Anything on Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Aug 17 01:46:20 EST 1995

>Dear Betty,
>You say just because the dwarfs in the 1950's got bovine growth hormine
>injections (bovine=cow) and the dwarfs got a "cow" disease, how do we
>know they got Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease from this?  Isn't that sort of
>like saying you don't get rose petals from roses?

was the growth hormone extracted from pooled bovine pituitary glands ?
if it was, then some of those cows probably had bovine spongiform
encephalitis , which is a prion disease & has little to do with  the
regulation or metabolism of IGF or GH. unfortunately, the prion diseases
weren't known in the 1950s so they couldn't screen for them. The prion is
the causative agent in CJD not  "aberrant" hormone levels.

>As to the references I'll be glad to go over them.  The insulin growth
>factor is the regulator of cancer!  Milk is an enzyme inhibitor and
>hormones survive digestion.

Iv'e shifted all of the scientific refs to the bottom of the post. I agree
that IGF & it's receptor are implicated in some cancers in some situations.
However to extrapolate these findings to the growth of every cancer ,
disregarding the roles of other factors, such as TGF beta, FGF, BDGF , stem
cell factor, LIF etc
is not accurate, nor is it good scientific practice. Actually, it steps
very close to scaremongering..Please don't disregard the finding that IGFs
are a piece of the woodwind section, not the entire orchestra.

 the last paragraphs I've pasted below in the appendix

>On November 8, 1994 the New York Times published a story written by Gina
>Kolata which revealed:

again< i reiterate, the function of a news paper is to sell copy, not
provide unbiased comment. To quote from  the NY Times as a piece of
supporting evidence for a complex topic such as the regulation of cellular
metabolism is irresponsible. did this article have a reference list that
quoted peer reviewed work?

>1.  There is good reason to believe that many very early cancers never
>become clinically significant.
>
>2.  Although 1% of women between the ages of 40 and 50 are diagnosed with
>breast cancer, autopsy studies reveal that 39% of women in that age group
>have tumors in their breasts.

are these tumours malignant or benign ?
further, are they tumours at all ? or hyperplasia, which is distinct from
neoplasia.

>3.  Forty-six percent of men between the age of 60 and seventy have
>prostate cancer although only 1% are clinically diagnosed.

is this prostate cancer, prostate thickening or what. To cut off the line
of retort that all these things are merely stepping stones to prostate
cancer , the answer is no, they are not.

>4.  Virtually all people over 50 have thyroid tumors.

why? do you know?

>5.  Cancerous tumors are the ones that have somehow thrown off the
>usually tight genetic controls on unwanted divison and growth.  (Remember
>the match I mentioned?!)

>The FDA now has information indicating that data was manipaulated and
>withheld from peer review.  In addition, new information has surfaced
>indicating that the product which was approved for use after many years
>of testing is not the same product that is now being used. (Remember the
>freak amino acid - epsilon-N-acetyllysine - in place of lysine in the
>peptide chain?!)

do you have a reference for this assertion that  the FDA has this info. ?
how did you get it, or did you read of it somewhere?

>Armed with the knowledge that virtually all humans hae tumors waiting to
>proliferate, and milk hormones (IGFs) cause proliferation of cancer, and
>that treatment of cows with recombinant bovine growth hormone causes an
>increase in IGF levels in milk, it is now time for science, industry and
>the FDA to re-investigate and re-evaluate this controversy.

>According to Sciene News in 1988 when human growth hormone was given to
>dwarfs some got leukemia.
>
>Monsanto doesn't want it labeled because consumers won't buy it.  That's
>why in 10 or 11 major cities of the U.S. on Thursday there will be
>protests sponsed by PURE FOODS in Washington.  The one in Atlanta is in
>cooperation with Mission Possible and includes aspartame, another
>Monsanto monster. (10:30 A.M., Thursday, August 17 in front of Return to
>Eden, Cheshire Square Shopping Center at Cheshire Bridge and LaVista).
>
>Robert Cohen who has done this research is trying to stop this insanity
>and save our children who are drinking this milk.
>
>I hope this further information is helpful.  I know that scientists are
>only interested in peer review journals but many times data is compromised.
<snip>>

The notion that data is compromised again raises the X-files conspiracy
flavour of a lot of your posts Betty.   misquotation & changes in context ,
exxageration and scaremongering are usually  charges levelled at supporters
of different points of view  when the accusser is running low on
inspiration.

If IGF from milk was the regulator of cancer then where are the quotes for
increases in GI tract cancer, where the exposure of the cells would be
highest?
also, how about studies comparing rates of these cancers in people or
animals that drink cows milk vs no cows milk  ( there will be people who
have to do this as they are lactose intolerant or just don't have access to
cows milk  )
the other  *hypothetical* course would be  (if you assume your argument to
be correct, which is a mighty leap of faith)  to inoculate experimental
animals with tumour that is somehow attenuated then feed the mice cows milk
& sit back & wait for the tumours to appear. do you have any data such as
this?

till the next fun filled episode
cheers Betty
RICHARD