Anything on Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Fri Aug 18 16:29:38 EST 1995

Dear Robert:  This is an answer to your post and Richard Kerr's post and
one by James McIninch who evidently is a Georgia Tech student.  Perhaps I
can  answer them all by quoting a letter from George L. Tritsch , Ph.D.
(Ph.D. in biochemistry, Pursue University, 1954) who quotes a recent
article from a very well respected journal (Cancer Research) and it is as
recent as June 1995.  I do not know Dr. Tritsch  but he gives his
credentials as:  1954-56:  Department of Biochemistry, Cornell Medical
                           College, New York
                 1956-59   Rockefeller University, New York
                 1959-1995 Cancer Research Scientist of Roswell Park Center
                           Institute, Buffalo, New York
                 April-95  Retired

There has been a great deal of discussion about the insulin growth factor
and this discusses IGF as I understand it and as Robert Cohen understands
it, and has declared to the FDA:

"I am disturbed by the statement made by Land O'Lakes and Cabot Creamery
that there is a "modest rise in IGF-1 concentration in milk produced by
BST-supplemented cows."  They further state that this protein is totally
destroyed during digestion.  This is untrue.  If this were true, there
would be no such thing as food allergy or the widely used immunization by
the intestinal route (enteric immunization).  In fact, "allergy to cow's
milk is the best studied example of food protein allergy."  (J.A. Stein,
ed., 'Internal Medicine', 1994, page 360-361; Mosby-Year Book Inc.)  The
unequivocal consequence of drinking milk from BST-supplemented cows is an
elevated level of IGF-1 in the blood."

"A recent article (Cancer Research, 55:2463-2469, June 1995) from Renato
Baserga's laboratory in Philadelphia has shown clearly that IGF-1 is
required for the establishment and maintenance of tumors.  The mechanism
for this is that IGF-1 protects the cells from apoptosis (programmed cell
death).  IGF accelerates tumor growth and appears to affect the
aggressiveness of tumors.  As the IGF-1 level is decreased, cell death can
take place.  We are talking about IGF-1 levels of 10 nanogram per m1,
i.e., 0.00001 milligram per ml."

"My concern is that increases in such minute levels could readily enter
the blood stream of individuals drinking milk from BST treated cows.  As
an individual ages, indolent tumor cells do appear in various organs
(breast, ovary, prostate, etc..) which grow slowly with the result that
clinical cancer is not manifested until old age, or, in many cases, after
the individual would have died of other causes.  Stimulation of these
cells by elevated levels of IGF-1 would result in clinical cancer in a
decade or two or even less.  Furthermore, these levels of IGF-1 could
stimulate the progression and aggressiveness of childhood leukemias to a
point that chemotherapy could not be effective, much less curative."

"The widespread  consumption of BST supplemented milk is therefore an
experiment on an unsuspecting population that could have horrendous
consequences and overwhelm the health care system.  The experiment would
take one to three decades when it would be difficult to dismantle a
well-entrenched BST industry, and still have one to three decades' worth
of individuals in the pipeline.  I can conceive of no animal experiments
to test this and to provide hard data to predict the magnitude and time
frame for this effect.  The risk to benefit ratio of this experiment is
clearly not in favor of the consumer."

Signed George L. Tritsch      August 7, 1995

About Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.  Please remember that a farmer in
England got bovine spongiform encephalitis in 1992 or 1993.  He got it
from a cow!  He later developed Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.  This is a
well known case.  You could verify this with Dr. Virgil Hulse (503
535-2623) - its a well documented case.  Pete Hardin with the MilkWeed
knows about this too 608 455-2400.

Now about the dwarfs in the 1950's they received both human and bovine
somatrotrophin.  You may remember that the Government did a report -
Executive Branch of the American Government published this in January,
1994, a 64 page report.  Incidently, in the appendix, page 65, A-1 it
tells you that the Russians first used BST in 1936.  One of the growth
hormones is brought out in the Government report and the other was
brought out by Moore in 1988, Endocrinology, Volume 122, 2920.  Moore
discusses BST used on the drawfs!

One of you brought up Robert Cohen.  He's done research on animals and he
received his B.A. in psychobiology from Southampton College, Long Island
University.  He conducted research in the field of psychoneuroendocrinology.

He's been researching BST almost since it was put on the market and has
discussed it with scientists all over the world - literally working day
and night.  I admire him tremendously.  He started this research because
he was concerned about his children drinking milk.  When he found out how
dangerous it was he could have just stopped with the warning of his own
family and friends.  Instead he became concerned for the rest of the
human race.  He's not made a dime from this project and he devotes day
and night to gathering information and warning not only his fellow
Americans but people throughout the world.  That sets him apart from
those who are only concerned with themselves.

Robert Cohen once said to me: "A Polish gentlemen by the name of
Copernicus developed a theory (which had overwhelming opposition) that the
Earth (and man) was not the center of the solar system.  Copernicus took
scientific facts - clues which when added together allowed him to
develop a theory.  I have no scientific credentials.  I have studied the
sciences and have done research but I do not possess a Ph.D. in my field.
However, a good researcher is one who can step outside of a problem and
observe that problem from three (or more) dimensions.  A good researcher
develops a theory.  If that researcher is well funded he is able to test
his hypothesis."

Remember high school algebra or geometry?  You are given proofs.  A + B= C.
If A is equal to 2 and C is equal 5 what is B?  The cube root of 27!

Anyway, please follow for a moment the mind of Robert Cohen:

Given:  Human ICF-1 has 70 amino acids.
Given:  Bovine IGF-1 has 70 amino acids.
Given:  Human IGF-1 AND Bovine IGF-1 are identical.  The 70 amino acid
        chain is structurally identical.

Given:  BST (or bGH) is a bovine growth hormone.
Given:  BST (or hGH) is a human growth hormone.

Given: (According to Hammond and Collier of Monsanto) Bovine milk has
       been reported to contain trace levels of BST (Malvern 1977)
       although it is not clear how it enters the milk, since no BST
       receptors have been identified on the surface of the mammary gland
       (Akers, 1985).  While the lactating mammary glands of dairy cows do
       not appear to have receptors for BST, it is conceivable that the
       galactopoietic effect of BST may be mediated, at least in part,
       through IGF-1, since this somatomedin has a stimulatory effect on
        mammary growth (Malvern, 1987).

This is Bob's conclusion:  Since Monsanto admits that BST may be mediated
by IGF, he agrees with Monsanto and furthermore hypothesizes that since
IGF is identical between humans and cows, then IGF in humans can act in
the same galactopoietic way in humans that Monsanto suggests it works in
cows.

Furthermore, if this is evidence that BST does induce effects where there
are no receptors, and IGF actually does the work and is identical, then
BST can exert effects in humans.  THIS IS COHEN'S HYPOTHESIS!

FDA tried real hard to get us to believe that BST was destroyed by
pasteurization.  It is not!  If Cohen had the resources, he would test
the effects of BST on human subjects (who have the same receptor for IGF
as cows).

By genetically engineering a cow's natural hormone, Monsanto created a
monster.  While attempting to increase the milk production Monsanto's
research revealed a component of milk that will prove to be more
hazardous then the act of breathing asbestos fibers into the lungs or
exposing skin to the ultra-violet rays of our sun or even the harmful
effects from inhaling the particles in the smoke of cigarettes, according
to Cohen.  Monsanto made it possible for Bob to discover and then to
relate to you the facts concerning IGF or insulin-like growth factor.
Consider this analogy that I used just yesterday at a press conference:
"IGF is to cancer as gasoline is to fire!"

James, I mentioned at the heart of the controversy on BST are the studies
and data cited in August, 1990 Science, Ref. 42, rBGH article by J. C.
Juskevich and C. G. Guyer.  That Monsanto and the FDA collaborated on
this article and refuse to release the data.  You said: "Sure they will.
Write them with the study name and the name of the PI. They'll send you a
copy."  James, they won't.  Cohen filed a Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) request for the full report on the experiments, including the
details on affects on 28 different tissues and organs.  He believes the
evidence will reveal a vast array of damaging abnormalities.  His request
was denied by the FDA, which claimed disclosure of the data would result
in "competitive harm" to Monsanto.  He even petitioned Congress and the
General Accounting Office (GAO) to investigate a massive fraud and
conspiracy.

On June 7 an attorney for Ralph Nader's group wrote the Department of
Health and Human Services about the denial saying: "It is difficult to
understand how an exemption applies to the studies sought by Mr. Cohen
when both Monsanto and Eli Lilly have shared them with competing
pharmaceutical companies.  The 1990 Science article referred to by Cohen
was jointly written by the FDA and Monsanto... It is clear these
companies were sharing information, which would nullify any claim that
public disclosure would result in competitive harm."

Robert Cohen said anybody able to perform simple math could take the
spleen weights of animals from table #@ on page 878 of the Science paper
and observe something critically wrong.  The average male rat receiving
an injection of this hormone had developed a spleen which was 39.6%
heavier than the spleen of the control group male.  The spleen weight of
the average female had grown 46.0%  These are not normal reactions and
signify unusual occurrences.  Such abnormal spleen growth in humans would
often be an indication of a developing leukemia.  The spleen is an
important part of our lymphatic system.  Spleens manufacture white and
red blood cells.  Spleens act as sentinels defending the body and
guarding against attack by foreign invaders.  A spleen growth in the 40%
range indicated a sick animal whose system was screaming an internal cry
for help.  Apparently, getting this drug approved and keeping their jobs
meant more to the men at Monsanto than truth.  Wouldn't it have been
natural for these men and women of science, after discovering this spleen
abnormality, to look at animals who took rbGH orally?

I won't go into all the article but tell you that Robert Cohen found Judy
Juskevich retired from the FDA and living in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  He
asked her how she could ignore the evidence in this experiment.  Her
response was she had never carefully reviewed the data and simply wrote
what she was told to write by Dr. Margaret Miller.  Dr. Miller was
working for Monsanto and was one of three persons who were investigated
by Congress for conflicts of interest in this drug application.

Lisa Watson, a Monsanto spokeswoman, appeared on a Canadian television
show called "The Fifth Estate."  On that 9/29/94 broadcast she said: "Out
of those 10,000 dairy farmers and 800,000 cows we had only received 95
complaints from dairy farmers."  At that time the FDA had actually
received complaints concerning nearly 9,500 BST treated cows contracting
mastitis.  Interestingly, someone just called me about a farmer who has
been using BST for years (even before approval) and how the offspring of
these cows have had "extra heads and extra legs", and this kind of thing
has been reported.

The Canadian TV program also reported that Canadian government officials,
while debating legalization of BST, received multi-million dollar bribes
from Monsanto officials.  One wonders what does not get reported.  As
Robert Cohen says: "If Monsanto bribed officials in Canada, is it
possible that they did the same in the United States?  Nah, not Monsanto."

    "Ethics?  Morality?  From Monsanto?"

The Congressional record of May 7, 1985 (Volume 131, No. 58) published a
condemnation of the research techniques used in experiments which were
severely flawed.  Shocking testimony reveals thousands of complaints
received by the FDA from aspartame use, which has been associated with
hundreds of ailments including blindness, cancer, multiple sclerosis and
other symptoms of human suffering.  This is just another example of a
disturbing phenomena.  Scientists cheat.  It's a way of getting drugs
approved.  It can mean career advancement and financial gain.

Yesterday filmed by the media I poured out Diet Coke right here in
Atlanta, the home of Coca Cola, and reported to the world that NutraSweet
(aspartame) is a chemical poison.  Dr. Moser of NutraSweet (Monsanto) who
is their consultant hired to defend their product when it gets exposed,
said "This is nutritional terrorism!"  For once, he was right -
NutraSweet has terrorized the nutrition industry and poisoned our food
supply!

Monsanto has learned the political game.  They even hired the respected
ex-surgeon general, C. Everett Koop to act as a lobbyist.  On February 6,
1994, Koop issued the following statement about BST treated milk:

"Unfortunately, a few fringe groups are using misleading statements and
blatant falsehoods as part of a long running campaign to scare consumers
about a perfectly safe food. (He was speaking about BST treated milk).
Milk from cows given supplemental bovine somatrotropin is the same as any
other milk.  So, there should be no doubt in the minds of consumers that
the milk they drink is just as safe, nutritious and wholesome as it has
always been.  Every issue and every question about BST has been
thoroughly and carefully studied  by the federal government and several
independent scientific institutions.  Consumers can continue to enjoy
milk and dairy foods with complete confidence."

Bob Cohen says with friends like this, the American public does not
need enemies! He called and wrote Dr. Koop and faxed a letter to him on
April 3, 1995.  He did not return telephone calls, letters or his fax.
The next time Bob Cohen faxed Dr. Koop it was without respect and did not
expect a response.  Along with a detailed letter he wrote him a poem
which I will share you with you:

"There once was a doctor, I shout.
It seems to the world he's sold out.
Taken drug company money, and written quite funny,
I don't like what he's written about!

Cancer's the answer, he protected us once, when integrity seemed to matter,
But money corrupts, and Monsanto has plenty, and it seems that C.
Everett's getting fatter."

Bob Cohen says when a man is "purchased" like the respected Dr. Koop, it
invalidates all of the good work he has previously done.  Let the world
know that C. Everett Koop, and others, like him, have prostituted
themselves by blindly accepting money from Monsanto and using the
prestigious station of their previous office to influence naive and
trusting Americans."

Gentlemen, what I'm trying to say is we can't just blindly believe what
we are told.  We must be concerned with the health and welfare of our
fellow man.  I hope we don't see anymore Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, but I
personally believe we're in for an epidemic of medical problems.  Until
we started distributing warning flyers on aspartame worldwide in April,
1994 containing symptoms and diseases triggered by aspartame, most people
never associated their medical problems with this chemical poison.  Even
on Internet since June there has been great controversy over my warning
remarks.  Yet, people listening in to these controversies and seeing
their symptoms outlined got off of NutraSweet.  Their posts to my email
say things like "I can see again (methanol converts to formaldehyde in
the retina), I can walk again (triggers fibromyalgia), my joint pain is
gone (from the methanol), my memory has come back and my headaches are
gone, etc."

My posts have been to warn you and the public at large.  Don't drink the
milk and don't use aspartame (marketed as NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.)
if you value your health.  Help us warn others.  Aspartame documentation
on request including a research report with case histories taken from the
net.

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty