Unethical practices - drug industry

MAIKAI maikai at aol.com
Fri Aug 18 21:00:24 EST 1995

>Unfortunately, with so many drugs on the market, it is difficult for<
>physicians and pharmacists to keep all of that information straight and<
>mistakes do occur.  Let us not accuse these good and dedicated people of<
>being selfish crooks intent on poisoning the public for dollars.  Human<
>errors will occur and sometimes this results in tragedy.  We in the<
>pharmaceutical industry try to minimize these incidences but, try as we<
>may, we are not always successful.  We really are all on the same side.<

>Lets try to be supportive rather that so accusative.<

It's hard to be supportive (and objective) when one's mother may have died
due to stupidity, arrogance, and negligence---medical professionals are
held to a higher standard than most---as well they should be.  The PDR
lists over l00 drugs that contain pseudoephedrine hydrochloride-----the
effect on hypertension is well known, as well as precautions (or should
be).  Personally, I think the problem in the elderly is when docs and
pharmacists think the sustained release (l20 mgs. bid; 240 mgs. once a
day) equates to a 30 mg. taken a couple times a day---which is must less
risky.  They just get too much of it---and the doc/pharmacist in my mom's
case equates a "normal adult dose" as safe for the elderly with
"controlled hypertension."  I have yet to find any clinical studies that
say the combination decongestant/antihistamine is safe.  I believe the
drug companies are trying to educate docs/pharmacists and the public about
geriatric medicine.....and the drug company that mfg. the pill my mom
took, was interested enough to want to analyze some of the pills---they
said they would report back to me with the results (I still have a hard
time believing they would volunteer any problems).  I don't think there is
anything wrong with them for normal, healthy, younger adults---and the
quality assurance programs the drug company has are adequate--it's just
the dosage was too high, and no monitoring was done, or side effects
relayed. One thing that surprised me in my research, is the amount of
liability/responsibility pharmacists now have due to OBRA '90---mainly
counseling patients as to possible side effects, and monitoring for
possible side effects, based on medical history.  That does make sense,
since that's their field, and not all docs keep up.  This may have gotten
off the subject of ethical practices-----drug companies sponsoring
vacations, etc. in the name of education, giving presents, etc.....and
some clinical trials sponsored by drug companies "in the name of research"
but used to push their products to consumers and docs, is another