gating of movement-related neural activity ?

Eric Wassermann ewass at
Mon Aug 21 07:39:59 EST 1995

In article <4166gm$92i at>, mglinws at (MGLinWS) wrote:

> Previous studies have established that the neural representation of
> sensory activity is gated by the animal's motoric state.  Does anyone know
> of any studies that show that the neural representation of movement is
> gated by the animal's preparation to move ?

[materail deleted]

> I wonder if my observation is novel or if I have rediscovered an already
> obvious fact.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.

There is very good evidence from human studies using transcranial
stimulation that the excitability of the primary motor cortex and its
output systems increases during a reaction time (c.f. Starr et al.
Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1988;70:26).  Moreover, in a 2 choice
reaction time, both response channels (muscles representations in M1 and
downstream connections) are potentiated until about 30 ms prior to
movement when there is inhibition of the non-chosen channel (Pascual-Leone
et al. Soc Neurosci Abstr 1992;18:25)

Is this what you mean by gating of motor activity?

Eric Wassermann