4 year-old NF patient

Ross Ship rossship at aol.com
Mon Aug 21 00:43:00 EST 1995

A little over two years ago my brother and sister-in-law lost a seven year
old daughter to an NF tumor.  Tuesday, August 22nd, their four year old
son is having surgery for a tumor (3-4 cm in diameter) on the outside of
his cerebellum.  The purpose of this letter is to try to find information
on a technique I read about in Discover magazine a year or so ago.  The
article said that since brain cells were the only non-replicating cells in
the body, experiments using an injected virus were being tried.
Apparently, since the virus can only invade the cell during replication,
they could infect the cancerous cells with the virus and then use a virus
inhibitor or killer to wipe out the virus and consequently, the cancerous
cells.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the article or contact
anyone at Discover that can point me in the right direction to see if this
is a viable technique that might be used in my nephew’s case.  I am
sending this to as many neuro departments and doctors as I can locate on
the internet in hopes that someone might have more information on this
technique.  My nephew, Johnny Porter, is at the University of Pennsylvania
Medical Center in Hershey, PA under the care of Dr. Dennis Johnson.
Anyone having any information can contact me at (703) 435-0407/769-3586,
E-mail at rossship at aol.com  or  shiplet_ross at po.gis.prc.com.  My thanks to
all who take the time out of their day to read this.
///Ross Shiplet

rls