Marsupialization thru commisurotomy

kevin k-mckenna at nwu.edu
Tue Aug 22 08:52:13 EST 1995

In article <380hf041 at neubio.sld.ar>, Postmaster at neubio.sld.ar

In article <41bacs$i7q at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, sethbh at aol.com (Seth BH) wrote:

  > Alright, I'll play the straight person.  Why "marsupialization?"  The term
  > merely makes me think of pouches, lissencephaly and eucalyptus...
  > Enlighten please.

Marsupials have no corpus callosum. However, I think (but I may be wrong)
that this reflects their highly undeveloped neocortex. So I don't think
that cutting the callosum in an animal with a well-developed neocortex is
analogous to "marsupializing" it. Seems like the appropriate term (but a
little unwieldy on the tongue) is callosotomy.