Postmenopousal relationship with Parkinson

Peter Hood Peter at brentano.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 04:17:08 EST 1995

In article: <41els8$hr0 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>  yskdr at aol.com (YSKDR) writes:
> I am looking for an article or data that shows the influence of
> psychological event on the postmenopousal women to develop Parkinson
> disease.  I have a hypothisis that a serious emotional disturbance during
> menopause can cause neuroimmunologic change and eventually develop
> Parkinson.  Please e-mail me , KIMY at ziavms.enmu.edu

I have difficulty with this.  One of the interesting clues about Parkinsonism
is that those who suffer from it almost always present with an aversion to
tobacco from an early age.  Tobacco smoking produces a compound/by-product
which, when tested in rats, insulates basal ganglia neurones from free radicals.
Free radicals destroy nerve tissue: In ADHD, which has the opposite motor
symptoms, children almost always have tobacco smoking inflicted on them,
particularly before birth.  (In neural development the process of growth
also involves necrosis, the possibility may be that tobacco smoking somehow
protects tissue from destruction in some other way, through the same by-
product.)

All in all the evidence would appear to suggest that the signs may be found
before middle age.  They appear to be subtle, that's all.

On the other hand, whilst it is true to say that there were no prospective,
longitudinal studies in Parkinsonism when I researched this for my M.Sc.,
there was at least one retrospective/anecdotal study.  Close relatives were
asked to rate the patients' emotional status during the premorbid years.
Interestingly patients appear to have been less than euthymic.  You may
find your emotional connection here.  Don't forget that PD very often
becomes obvious at around the age of menopause/after, so you need to find
a way of controlling for this...

I'll pull out my dissertation and post more detailed information and
references, if you wish.  Interested?

--
Peter