progressive supra nuclear palsy

Leslie Packer lpacker at nyc.pipeline.com
Wed Aug 23 13:24:06 EST 1995

In bionet.neuroscience pricekd at ix.netcom.com (Ken Price ) said:

>I am researching the disorder progressive supra nuclear palsy for a
client.  It
>seems that this disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's Disease but
also
>has some MS or dementia symptoms.  Any information would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if you've already researched this through NORD (National
Organization of Rare Disorders), but they may have additional information
for you.  Also, if you contact the National Parkinson Foundation, they will
have information on this disorder.

I have only treated one patient with PSP (Steele-Richardson-Olczewski (sp?)
Syndrome).   Indeed, in its early states, it may often look like
Parkinson's, and that is the most frequent misdiagnosis.  There is also a
generally mild subcortical dementia that accompanies it.  I do not see much
resemblance to MS, frankly, but there are certainly features that look like
ALS.  Indeed, the way I once described it to someone was taking
Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and ALS and rolling them up into one devastating
disorder.

Are there specific questions that you have about the disorder?  I can
probably dig up some older references for you on it from my files, but if
there's a specific question you have, I might be able to help you.  BTW, in
my work with my patient, we tried a novel biofeedback-based approach to
dealing with the dysphagia.  Luckily, we were successful, and were able to
maintain/restore safe voluntary swallowing, thus averting a feeding tube
and problems with aspiration.

--
Leslie Packer, PhD