gating of movement-related neural activity ?

Andrew_R._Mitz arm at helix
Wed Aug 23 08:18:51 EST 1995

: In any case, the studies mentioned by Dr. Wasserman point to a potential
: means by which neural activity could be gated during the reaction-time.
: My question is:  HAS ANYONE STUDIES HOW THE EXCITABILITY OF PRIMARY MOTOR
: CORTEX VARIES WITH THE SUBJECT'S REACTION-TIME OR WITH THE LENGTH OF TIME
: BETWEEN THE START OF A TRIAL AND THE OCCURRENCE OF THE TRIGGER STIMULUS ?

You might be interested in the motor cortex activity between the time
a movement direction is specified and the time that a trigger signal
has been issued.  The "excitability" has been studied using population
vectors.  There seem to be two components during such a task.  An
early component is associated with the animal's attention.  The later
component (in premotor cortex at least) is associated with the intended
direction of movement.  See di Pellegrino and Wise (sorry, I don't have
the rest of the reference at hand).  Steve Wise speculates that the
attentional component is widespread throughout the motor areas of the
frontal lobe.

: Mark Laubach

Andrew Mitz, Biomed. Eng., National Institutes | Opinions are mine alone
of Health Animal Center, Poolesville, MD       | arm at helix.nih.gov